Explanations

Keith’s POV

In all honesty Keith thought that the dinner was going nearly perfect. Lance was being charming as ever and if he was nervous he didn’t really show it. Keith wanted to lean over and kiss Lance every time he made his mom chuckle or his dad smile in approval. Keith exhaled a breath of relief, he was nervous that his parents would be hostile towards his boyfriend but fortunately that was not the case.

He could tell that his parents still thought about the day Keith was punched but they obviously didn’t hold it against Lance. They must have seen how hard he was trying.

Nevertheless, life didn’t stay fairytale like for long and soon a familiar creak from the front door filled the room and Keith felt his blood run cold. Shiro. He reached for Lance's hand, tightly intertwining their fingers together as familiar footsteps made their way into the dining room. Keith shut his eyes tightly, please don’t do anything stupid.

Keith held his breath as Shiro turned his attention towards Lance, his eyes colder than normal. Anger began to fill his veins the longer Shiro belittled Lance right in front of him. Part of him wanted to scream at Shiro and tell him that he was wrong, while the other half wanted to stay silent and watched how Lance handled himself. Yet Keith watched with wide eyes as the conversation rolled out in front of him and he couldn’t contain it anymore.

“Takashi! Enough! We were having a nice dinner and then you had to come home and ruin it. You don’t even know him yet and still you're judging him like he’s a student at the Garrison!” Keith wanted to say more, he wanted to scream at his brother until his body caved with the lack of oxygen but Lance’s voice quickly filled the air.

“I don’t have a bet with anyone! I just changed my mind because I realized how great of a person he is. I know I’ve messed up in the past but I’ve been trying to fix and I’ve sacrificed so much to get to where I am now. While you got to keep your family I had to give up mine,” Lance sounded broken and Keith felt his heart ache.

Everything happened so fast and Keith could barely process the chair being pushed away from the table and Lance beginning his sprint out the door. No, no, no, this can’t be happening, Keith fought back the burn that filled the back of his eyes and shoved his chair away from the table, pointing at Shiro and narrowing his eyes at him. He wanted to snap at his brother but the sound of an engine starting made him bolt from the table like his life depended on it.

“LANCE!” Keith ran out onto the driveway, falling onto the concrete, not even thinking about how his knees exploded in pain. He felt like a giant hand was squeezing his chest and  he struggled for any form of air to fill his lungs.

He heard the front open and a small gasp filled the air as quiet footsteps moved towards Keith. “I can’t believe he left,” her voice was shaky and Keith could hear the wetness in it.