Chapter 9: Curses and Jinxes

As we entered November, the weather turned very cold. The mountains around the school became icy grey and the lake like chilled steel. Every morning the ground was covered in frost. Hagrid could be seen from the upstairs windows defrosting broomsticks on the Quidditch field, bundled up in a long moleskin overcoat, rabbit fur gloves, and enormous beaverskin boots. The Quidditch season had begun.

According to Professor Snape, if Gryffindor won, they would move up into second place in the house championship and if we won we'd still be the reigning house champions. Apparently, from what I heard from gossiping students in the hallway, Harry is playing Seeker for Gryffindor, and Harry didn't know which was worse-people telling him he'd be brilliant or people telling him they'd be running around underneath him holding a mattress or me being fuming mad that he didn't tell me about it.

It was really lucky that Harry now had Hermione as a friend. I don't know what he would do if she wasn't with all the last-minute Quidditch practice, according to Harry himself, Wood was making him do there was no time to do his homework. She had also looked up a book called Quidditch Through the Ages and borrowed it on his behalf for him.

Hermione had become more relaxed after the incident with the troll and she was much nicer for it. The day before Harry's first Quidditch match the four of us were out in the freezing courtyard during break, and I had conjured up a bright blue fire that could be carried around in a jam jar to keep us warm. We were standing with our backs to it, getting warm, when Professor Snape crossed the yard.

Oh no.

Noticing that he was limping, my heart stops for a moment in worry as my lip sets in a grim line as he nears us.

Why are you limping, Professor? I ask him through our link.

No answer.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione move closer towards me as so to block the fire from view; pretty sure it wouldn't be allowed. Unfortunately, something about our guilty faces caught Professor Snape's eye. As he limped over to us clearly looking for something amiss. He hadn't seen the fire, so he seemed to be looking for a reason to tell us off anyway.

"What's that you've got there, Potter?" It was Quidditch Through the Ages. Harry showed him.

"Library books are not to be taken outside the school," Professor Snape scolds. "Give it to me. Five points from Gryffindor."

"He's just made that rule up," Harry mutters angrily as Professor Snape limps away. "Wonder what's wrong with his leg?"

I'm wondering the same thing too, I think to myself, knowing that Professor Snape can hear every word.

"Dunno, but I hope it's really hurting him," Ron scowled bitterly.

Both Hermione and I knock the back of his head at the same time but not likely for the same reason.

Sitting outside in the Gryffindor common room Hermione and I check Harry and Ron's Charms homework for them. How did I get into the Gryffindor common room? Well, the Fat Lady felt bad about having the four of us sit in front of her portrait every other evening while Hermione and I helped Harry and Ron with their school work and eventually gave into allowing me access into the common room with the promise that I do not tell anyone. 

Back to Harry and Ron's schoolwork even though I would have let them copy mine, Hermione pointed out that they would never learn anything if they copied our work so the boys compromised by asking us to read their work through, they mostly got the answers right but needed help though adding an introduction and a conclusion.

As the night wore on, Harry was beginning to look restless eventually getting up, he suddenly says he is going to ask Professor Snape if he could have his book back. Sighing, I ask to accompany him, pointing out that Professor Snape wouldn't refuse if it were one of his Slytherins to ask but in reality I just want an excuse to see how he's doing with his leg.