These Lines So Well Rehearsed

"Hey Miki, come and take a look at this." Greg called across the lab.

I put my pen down and pushed back on my chair, gliding across the lab, spinning to face the desk as I slowed down. I stopped myself right next to Greg, trying not to let my proud grin show from the success of my immature transportation. I looked down the microscope and studied the slide for a second, glanced at the process machines results before leaning back and giving Greg a puzzled look.

"Face paint?" I asked him.

"Maybe our killer was a clown." Greg said.

"Why would someone line a bullet with face paint? Danny had no traces of it, right?"

"Do you fancy a trip to the morgue to get those second results from Robbins?" Greg smirked.

"Fine by me, where’s the morgue from here." I was still finding my bearings in the vast building.

"Turn left out of here and then take the lift at the end of the hallway to the basement." Greg turned back to his computer.

"Doctor Robbins?" I asked, stepping into the cold room.

"Ah, you must be Miki Romani." The old man smiled and walked towards me.

"Yes, nice to meet you, at last. I was wondering if you could tell us anything about our victim yet."

"I'm halfway through his autopsy now. If you care to stick around be my guest. Have you seen an autopsy before?"

"No. In Peoria they were done in a separate building to the labs."

"Well, this could be a Vegas first for you. Slip on a coat and some gloves and come and join me if you like."

I eagerly got myself ready and joined him at the table.

"It's such a shame really. They boy was in perfect health." Robbins sighed.

"Apart from the bullet wound to the heart." I reminded him with a cynical smirk.

"Well of course. Otherwise he wouldn’t be on my table."

I watched as he skilfully did his job. I was in complete awe of how he dealt with human remains and remained so calm. I knew and could sense that I had paled dramatically and my hands were clamped to the metal table to keep myself standing upright.

Once it was over Robbins handed me the results and I left the room on shaky legs, wanting nothing more than to return to the warmth of the labs. It was an experience, that was for sure, but I had definitely made the right choice to pick forensics over medicine.

Slowly I made my way back to the lab and Greg looked up when I entered. His grin faded as I leaned against the door frame and tried to clear my head.

"Hangover?" He asked standing up, eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"Autopsy." I said after a short pause and I held the folder out to him. He placed it on the desk without even glancing at it and guided me to my seat, his strong hand rubbing slow circles between my shoulder blades, soothing me just a little.

"First time?" His voice was soft, caring.

"Y-Yeah." I managed, trying to forget the insides of the corpse.

“Oh, Miki.”

He placed a hand on my back again and moved it in reassuring circles, calming my uneven breathing and helping me ease the images from my mind.

"Better?" He asked me when the colour had returned to my cheeks.

"Yeah. Thanks Greg." I smiled, tapping his arm with my head gratefully.