11:\\ Away

Violet

A normal second day of school was apparently too much to ask for. As soon as I set foot into the cafeteria this morning, I was approached by an insightful Jared who wanted to speak to me about his football skills. After informing him that I didn't care about football, Aaron took a seat beside me.

"Hey." He said, "you know that place you dropped me off at last night..."

"No I don't recall." I answered, unbothered. I didn't want people glancing our way, but there was no way to make them turn away. I couldn't understand why all of the sudden he decided to target me. Why was I suddenly bombarded by his usually wanted attention? Was it because Amy was gone? I glared at him as his eyes instantly softened. His knee casually bumped mine under the table and I pretended not to notice.

"Well did you hear about what happened to Joseph this summer?" He asked in an attempt to continue the conversation.

"No." I muttered. "I hardly knew him anyway."

"The boy was mauled by a bear." Aaron said, he had a weird sparkle in his eye. I couldn't tell if I was supposed to believe him.

"What?? Really?" I hadn't heard news of this, but it must've bypassed the media somehow. I was shocked.

"No, but I..." I felt my heart sink. I was genuinely afraid for Joseph to have it feel uncomfortable.

He just joked about someone dying... that's repulsive. "Look Aaron, I think you should brush your teeth because your voice is making my ears numb. I don't know what you want from me, but Stacy's here. I've got to go." I quickly excused myself and walked away.

I was annoyed by the fact that he was here and that the attention of the cafeteria was on us. If he had some sort of interest in me or liked me in any way, he definitely went about it the wrong way.

"Hey V." Stacy said, but her eyes were focused on the table I was just at, Aaron included.

"He's so obnoxious!" I couldn't seem to hide my frustration.

"Maybe, but I'd like a slice of that pie if you catch my drift." She had a look of mischief written all over her face, all I could return it with was an eye roll and a laugh. Of course she'd say that, I could never tell if she was joking or if she was secretly obsessed with him. Perhaps she had a shrine to Aaron at her home, I wouldn't know, I'd never been.

"Take it!" I muttered, arms flailing in frustration. He had not only annoyed the life out of me, but he had no reason to. I didn't like being a target in his sights.

"Looks like someone woke up on the wrong side of the bed." Stacy joked, she didn't get it. All she saw was a handsome boy pursuing her friend in unknown manners with unknown intentions.

"I did not! Stacy!" I complained, but it fell on deaf ears as she crossed her arms and stared at me.

"Get over yourself Vy. Aaron isn't the kind of guys to go after us and you know that Violet." She turned away from me as the bell rang and walked to her first class.

***

"Pop quiz!" Mr. Smith announced rather loudly as we entered his class. It was the second day of school?? What could he possibly quiz us on.

After the panic spread throughout the class, he held his hands against his large stomach and began crouching over in laughter.

"Got you all." He laughed, "you should've seen your faces, in fact, here." He quickly took a picture of us and made it his phone wallpaper. I glanced over at the wall, annoyed and bored. I felt weird today, definitely not in the mood to talk. I felt hostile and ready to attack.