53:\\ Unknown Territory

Violet

I sighed, staring at my phone. I felt a strange sense of loneliness. I hadn't felt like this in a long, long time. I guess I did become attached to Aaron without ever realizing it. I didn't like that I'd become dependent on someone else. That's not who I am.

I kept thinking back to how abruptly he had tore away from our kiss and left. I wondered how long he'd known about the headaches being gone. I felt something had changed, and could've guessed that the headaches were gone, but I didn't think he'd leave.

I shut my eyes, laying on the comfortable cushions of my bed and staring at the ceiling. Mom had been gone for almost as long as Aaron had been gone. I wondered if calling either of them would do anything. I checked my phone, I was scheduled for another shift at the drugstore this weekend. I didn't want to go.

Hey Boss, I don't think I'll be able to continue working at this store anymore. I'm dealing with a lot right now so I sent you my two weeks notice via email. Thx. I texted the owner of the store and tossed my phone aside. I felt empty inside and it was an odd feeling considering the need-nobody mentality that I had had not so long ago.

Before I knew it, the empty thoughts silenced and I had fallen into a deep slumber.

+

A small rapping on my bedroom window sent jolts of electricity down my spine. I lazily opened my eyes, I couldn't contain the grin that formed as I hopped out of my cozy bed and unlocked the window, pushing it wide open. The cold air drifted in and along with it came Aaron. He was shivering in his coat, light fluttering of snow covering him. His nose had turned a bright rudolf red as he grinned back at me. It was nearly three hours past midnight. I wondered why he'd decided to come back when he knew he no longer needed to be near me.

"It's freezing Vy." He stuttered, tossing his shoes off and reaching for my hand. "I feel like my fingers are about to fall off." His cold fingers stung my warm ones, sparks seemed to fly. He hugged me tightly.

"I can see that." I laughed, pulling the coat off of him as the heat of the moment filled us, "Maybe I can warm you up?" I suggested, adjusting myself on the bed and holding him. Heat radiated between us and it felt more powerful than the heater could ever provide.

A slight fear was slowly started showing its ugly face as I heard footsteps coming upstairs. Perhaps it was my mother; I quietly ignored the sinking feeling as Aaron began talking about his day, what I had missed at school, and how much he wishes I could go with his family to Hawaii in the summer. I couldn't help but smile at every word that left his beautiful mouth. He was such a beautiful soul and I wished the world knew that.

"How are you doing Vy?" He asked, pausing before saying my name again, "Violet." His brows furrowed with unnecessary concern.

"I'm fine. I've just been looking forward to seeing you all day. And Mrs. Smith's essay is pretty fun to write." I grinned.

I didn't tell him why I missed school today. I didn't tell him why I couldn't introduce him to my family. And most importantly, the most difficult thing for me was holding back telling him that I fully and completely love him. I wanted him to know, but I had read so many stories about the girl getting her heart broken in the end. These feelings I had when Aaron was around made me giddy- but I had so many secrets hidden from him that I wouldn't know where to begin.

"I missed you too Vy." He grinned, his gray eyes boring into mine as he shut them. His long brown lashes hidden as dark brows came into view as he kissed my forehead.

We talked for what felt like seconds until my eyes shot to the analog clock on my wall. It was half an hour past five. I yawned and he seemed to instantly get the signal. He kissed my palm before we fell asleep.

I woke up to the alarming sound of beeping on my phone. My heart was racing as I reached for it, shutting it off. I turned to Aaron who was sound asleep. He could sleep though an earthquake if he set his mind to it. I turned to him and smiled as he opened his eyes very slightly and glanced at me. A sleepy smile filled his face as he shut his eyes again and went back to sleep. It was a Saturday after all.

I moved closer to him, guarding myself from the cold room. My mom had probably shut off the heater some time in the morning- probably to conserve energy.

"Stop staring at me, weirdo." He said as I rolled my eyes, giggling. I missed him so much.

+

The sun slashed through my eyes as they quickly opened. It wasn't even winter or snowing. Just a cool fall with colorful leaves floating and piling in my yard.

Nothing.

Nobody was here. I was all alone and it was just a dream. A dream that needed me to confront my feelings, clearly.

An unwelcome sadness enveloped me. This was the first time in a while that this level of loneliness had filled me, I hadn't been this alone, I hadn't slept without another person in my room in so long.

I pulled out my phone to check the time when a stack of messages appeared.

Well, my dream had one thing right; I was going to skip school today.

***please vote (and comment) and follow me! ♥️ I am so exhausted haha I really love writing this story though; honestly it is one of my favorite hobbies!

Let me know if you've figured out some of the puzzle pieces like how do Violet and Aaron both have/ at some point shared powers? Who is Trina and what's her purpose?

HEY ALL READ THE NOTE ON MY PROFILE PLZ ITS PINNED :)

In case you're interested in getting the totally edited/revised/changed paperback version of this book:

AMAZON PAPERBACK LINK: https://www.amazon.com/Boy-Who-Read-Minds-ebook/dp/B08RYV11F2/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=veronica+Soliman&qid=1609863783&sr=8-3

Barnes and Noble: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)

Apple Store: (Link will be available in the coming weeks)