Chapter 5

David woke slowly. He realized the ... He looked around again, ambulance? He was surprised that the transport guild had allowed this vehicle out of Haven. The air was fresh, a cool breeze blew across his chest, his bare chest. He could hear voices, the sound coming from beyond his feet. If he focused, he could make out most of what he overheard.

"What did you have to promise to get this vehicle from transport Scorese?"

David struggled to place the woman's voice. He knew it, he just couldn't remember where.

"Sayalin, it is none of your business. You are not part of my guild, you have no voice in my guild's affairs."

All of the pieces fell in place. Sayalin was afraid that the Mage Guild would usurp the technologist guild position as the most important guild. David pondered this new insight, listening for confirmation of his realization.

"No, I don't. But I have responsibility to Haven to ensure that its resources are used appropriately. All I can tell so far is that you have a hard on for that boy, and you are thinking with your cock instead of your head."

"This is your last warning Sayalin. Stay out of my guild's business. Make another accusation like that, and you will answer to the council."

David felt a surge of magic and sprang to his feet. He crept to the door of the ambulance to see what Scorese was doing. The one rule of Haven was no one used their talents against another guild.

David peered around the corner. He couldn't suppress his gasp when he saw Sayalin Bayers, Guild Master of the Technologists suffused with the glow of magical energy.

"Really, Sayalin? Your magical gift wasn't strong enough to enter the Mages Guild. You think you can challenge me?" Scorese casually flicked his wrist toward her.

Stunned, David watched as the glow from Sayalin dissipated as she was thrown backwards several feet. Landing gracefully, Sayalin drew a blade. Pointing it threateningly at Scorese, she assumed a fighting stance.

"Just because you can summon magic doesn't mean anything. It's your ability to transmute the magic into our physical world that's important. I suggest you return to the technologist encampment, now. Do this, and I won't bring charges against you."

Sayalin laughed bitterly. "You don't scare me. Your obstructions led to this mission. If you hadn't demanded the energy normally used on Haven's shield, we wouldn't be here now."

"Really? If you had proof, I would already be on trial. Now take your empty threats and go." Casually, Scorese waved his hand again, and another surge of magic made David's skin tingle. Sayalin disappeared.

"You can come out now David." Scorese turned toward the ambulance, staring at the spot where David hid.

David slowly crawled out of the ambulance, coming to stand in front of his Guild Master, his hands clasped behind his back, and looking at the man's shoes.

"Yes Sir?" David mumbled. He struggled to keep his head down when all he wanted to do was to look into those blue eyes again. His heart skipped a beat when he felt Scorese lay his hand on David's shoulder.

"I'm not your lord, David. You don't have to look at my feet." He gently put his hand under David's chin, lifting his head so they looked each other in the eye. "I am, however, your guild master. You should not eavesdrop on conversations that don't concern you."

"I'm sorry, Sir. I woke up, confused — disoriented, really. I heard voices and I moved towards it." David tried his best to look innocent, full on puppy dog eyes, head slightly leaning forward. He even managed a tear. "Then everything came back to me, and I was frozen in place. I was to absorbed in what happened to me to hear anything that was said, well almost."