CHAPTER 8

David woke in the all too familiar, back of the ambulance, strapped down to a gurney. The ride was less pleasant when the vehicle was moving. How on earth could he have slept through this for two days, he wondered.
He heard a low groan, and was looking around for its source, before realizing he was making the sound.
"It looks like he's coming around." A voice a little above David's head said. He tried craning his neck to see who the voice belonged to. All he could see was blond hair. Frustrated he tried angling his head in different directions to no avail.
"It does." That voice David knew. It used to be, every time he heard it he had nothing but chills and fear. Now, it brought soothing comfort.
"Scorese," David managed to say.
He felt a hand rest in his leg. "I'm here David."
David felt a tentative touch on his shoulder, lighter, but no less confident. "I'm here too David. Anything you need."
"Sue!" David said excitedly. "Can you sit me up and come where I can see you?" The touch on his shoulder vanished. The head of the gurney lifted. It rattled, as Sue slid into the jump seat opposite Scorese. She quickly buckled in and rested a hand on David's leg mirroring Scorese almost perfectly.
David chuckled. "I guess you're wondering why I brought you here tonight," David said with a grin.
Scorese burst into laughter while Sue stared at him confused for a moment before what he said really sank in. "Not the line to lead with to prove your sanity, but then again I forgot who the patient is," she said with a snicker. "You have got to stop doing this, David. One day, there may be no one around to help you."
David knew he should look chagrined, but he felt far too giddy to care. "What did I do out there?"
"You saved the expedition and dealt a harsh blow to the bio-mechs. You also drained twenty-four if the thirty-nine other mages on this expedition." Scorese stopped himself, realizing everything he said. "Well, that wasn't supposed to come out that way." Scorese patted David's leg. "The important thing is that with rest, everyone will be back on their game." he looked at David guiltily.
Before he could stop himself, David snorted. 
In confusion, Sue looked first at David, then Scorese, and she too laughed.
Scorese sighed, letting his head hang down, bobbing to each bump and sway of the ambulance.
"It's all right Scorese." A gasp cut off Sue's laughter, and she focused on David. "You should never hide my mistakes from me. Otherwise, I will continue to make them."
Sue picked up as soon as David finished. "Guild Master, please forgive David's breach—"
Scorese cut her off with a wave of his hand. "It's fine Sue. I do not run my guild the way Sayelin does. When we are talking, he may use my first name."
Some small part of David took satisfaction in the surprise on Sue's face, if for no other reason than how the battle mages would react when he did this in front of them.
David put on his most charming smile just in time to be tossed around as the ambulance lurched from side to side. With his eyes closed he only had the sounds of slapping, banging and a grunt before the ride leveled out again.
Opening one eye, he saw Scorese sitting, bracing himself with both hands and legs. Both hands pushing against the walls of the ambulance, while his legs were out straight, pushing him against the back of the seat.
Opening the other, Sue sat with her legs stiff, braced against the floor, while holding on to two handles with her hands. "That's why I went to your tent this morning. I wanted to tell you about everything that's happened."
Sue shared one of her dazzling smiles that even now, made his heart skip a beat. "I'm so glad you came to see me, I wish I had better news to share with you."
"Why? What happened? Is it Greg?"
Sue glanced at Scorese and back to David before she continued. "I was hoping to talk to you alone."
Scorese had been staring out the back window until that point. "Yes, Sue. You present a most eloquent argument. Perhaps we could pause for lunch, especially since you missed breakfast, young man." Scorese smiled warmly at David, before turning his gaze to Sue, his smile losing most of its warmth. Pressing the comm unit in his ear Scorese called for a break to have lunch.
The ambulance came to a halt, still swaying from the last rut. Once the back doors swung open, Sue and Scorese freed themselves, then turned their attention to David.