Chapter 10

With the enemy mage dead, Scorese turned the battle mages loose to help fortify the growing encampment. Overseen by the Logistics and Builders guilds, the mages made short work of the fortifications. By the time night fell, several punji pits were dug and concealed, and they hooked tripwires up to the newly hung spiked rams.
David caught up to Scorese as he was touring the camp defenses. "I was thinking," he began.
Scorese nodded, as his head turned on a swivel scanning the camp's defense.
"I can weave protections around the camp. That way if there is another mage—"
"If there's another mage, we're already dead. None of the traps will work," Scorese said, interrupting him.
"That may be so," David conceded. "But, if there is another mage, that makes the protection that much more important."
Scorese nodded, distracted by a small crowd that gathered near one campsite.
"Great! Then you take care of the fight, and I'll ready the protective spell." David turned back toward their tent, not giving Scorese an opportunity to say anything else.
He glanced back as Scorese waded into the thick of the small crowd. David picked up his pace, knowing the distraction wouldn't give him more than a few minutes to figure out how to weave the protection spell he pictured in his mind. He skidded to a halt in front of their tent, slipping inside before anyone noticed him.
David focused his mind, pointing at a small brazier. "HarpeB!" he commanded. Warmth suffused the tent as the rocks shimmered, enveloped in a golden glow. He removed his coat and sat cross-legged on the floor. Settling his mind, David closed his eyes, seeing the world through his Seer's Eye.
The currents of energy that flowed through and around him, reminded David of a swiftly running river, concealed by a tranquil surface. He carefully picked out flows of magical energy, tracing each back to its source.
Most of the magical streams bore the same discordant feel as that of the bio-mech mage. Magic, bludgeoned into obedience, causing him to cringe. He cursed, as repeatedly the magical flows led back to battle mages.
David sunk his mind into the earth, its cold leached into him. At last, he found what he sought. A pure magical flow, unsullied by the battering of a battle mage. He gently created a new path for the flow, bringing the power of the earth into him.
Spinning threads of magic out, David built an image in his mind, imbuing the magic with form and function, a six sided parabolic refracting shield. Satisfied with his work, David released the magical flow, checking to ensure the shield protected the feeds that sustained it.
Returning to the physical world, David opened his eyes to Scorese and Sue standing in front of him with the arms folded across their chests, glaring, at him. David held up a hand to stay any condemnation. "Before you yell, please, look at what I've done." David uncrossed his legs, surprised he was so stiff. A light breeze opened the tent entrance enough for him to see the reason for his stiffness. The sun set hours previous, the starlit sky lending an ethereal quality to the cold camp.
Sue extended a hand, helping David to his feet. "I don't care what you did. Casting magic alone is dangerous for you! You're lucky that shield spell didn't kill you."
Her words surprised David. Frowning, he asked, "How did you know I created a shield?"
Sue's eyes grew round, and her face paled. "Oh, um, I, um." She scratched her head. "I don't know, I knew, O.K.?"
"Why didn't you tell someone your latent magic was active?" Scorese narrowed his eyes, studying Sue. He reached to touch her forehead, mumbling.
A white light exploded from Sue's forehead. The explosion threw Scorese against the tent wall and tossed David onto the bed.
Scrambling off the bed, David raced to Scorese' side. He knelt, checking for a pulse. Relieved to find one, he turned to check Sue.
She sat slumped over against the other tent wall. As David approached, she sat up and rubbed her eyes. Blinking, she looked around. "What happened?"
David offered her a hand to stand as he answered, "Someone set a protection spell. Scorese triggered it." David helped her to the bed before he turned his attention back to his guild-master.
Instinctively, David laid a hand on Scorese's chest. He closed his eyes as his mind searched for the magical flows. David's mind drew on the flow until magic enveloped him. It's energy coursing through and over his body. A thousand hands caressing every inch of his flesh. And yet, silence, a dichotomy his mind struggled with, until a voice banished the silence. "As you need, you will know. Accept this as fact."
David bowed his head in acquiescence, images blooming in his mind. He could do now and understand later. David listened to the harmony that was Scorese's being. The first discordant notes of age wove a mournful counter point to into his song. David stayed for a moment almost hypnotized by the music that was Scorese before extracting his mind, focusing back in the material world.
"There's nothing wrong with him," David said, checking the back of Scorese's head in case his magic missed something. "Stay here, I'll get help," David said over his shoulder, leaving the tent.
He started toward the healer's area, moving parallel to the earthen wall. He paused, frowning. If he couldn't detect a reason Scorese was still unconscious, perhaps he should find a mage. He pivoted, running into a blond man.
David staggered backward until he regained his balance.
"What are you doing here?" David asked, recognizing his nemesis, Vailen.
"Apparently, I'm stopping the exalted Seer General from being Guild-master Theist's little lapdog," Vailen sneered as he shoved David backwards.
"Please, Scorese needs-" David cut himself off, realizing what he said.
Vailen's laugh hit David's ears like an icy, biting wind. "And now you've insulted the greatest battle mage of a generation!" He pointed at David, and uttered, "svyazat' v tsepi!"
A beam of energy shot toward David, striking the ground at his feet. Swirling arms of dust rose, intertwining with each other, and around David. When the dust settled, Vailen's magic bound him in heavy iron chains at the center of intersecting paths between the tents.
David cried out from the crushing weight on his shoulders. "PLAVIT'SYA," David gasped. The chains melted away. He straightened, as he snarled, "I'm not the child you knew in Haven. Now, get out of my way." He swung an arm.
Vailen fought against the invisible wall that pushed him toward the row of tents behind him. When he stopped fighting, and tried to go around, Vailen struck a second wall that butted against a tent.
Stepping back, Vailen screeched, "Raskroshit!" He lashed out with both hands.
David crumbled to the ground as the barriers he wove toppled. David pushed himself onto his hands and knees. Nausea rippled through his awareness. "Please!" he cried. "We're on the same side!"
Vailen glared. "You shouldn't be here! You're a weak, stupid seer! You are certainly not my General." Vailen took a deep breath.
David's skin tingled. The hair on his arms stood on end, a metallic taste bloomed in his mouth. Vailen was pulling magic into himself. The brutal rending sent waves of pain coursing through David's body. Through watery eyes, David watched as Vailen pointed at him, a white bolt of energy streaked out.
"Enough!"
A shield sprang around David, deflecting the magical bolt, harmlessly, in the air. Ropes of earth swirled around Vailen, encasing him to the neck in mud.
Darius stepped from between two tents, one hand stretched toward David and the other toward Vailen.
"David," Darius said through gritted teeth. "Go find a healer while I deal with your attacker."
David nodded and set off for the healers camp. "privedi menya k tomu, kogo ya ishchu," he sang while focused on finding the correct healer. David extended his hand, palm up. Sparks flew up from his palm, coalescing into a ball of light.
The ball flew off his hand, bounding forward weaving in and out of tents. It waited for David if he fell to far behind until it settled in front of a simple bi-fold tent. It was nothing more than a tarp hung over a single line. Tie down points made the sides stiff, and a triangular insert provided privacy.
"Hello?" David called.
A red-haired woman stuck her head out. "Yes? Can I help you?" Her voice reminded him of a lyre.
"Guild-master Theist requires help. He's unconscious from accidentally triggering a protection spell."
"One moment," she said and drew her head back into the tent.
David could hear rustling, and a muffled curse before the woman stepped out, dressed in travel leathers, a forest green shirt and knee-high boots. In one hand, she held a travel case.
"Carmelle," she said extending her other hand.
David shook her hand and introduced himself. "His tent is this way, follow me," he said, setting off for their yurt.
Carmelle caught him by the shoulder and pointed in the opposite direction. "This way, General," she said, her voice tinged with humor. David followed behind, thankful she knew the way. While he felt drained, David was jubilant. He worked magic and was still conscious!
They arrived at the tent to find Sue and Scorese sitting by a small smokeless fire. David's heart swelled with relief, as he let out a sigh of relief.
"There you are," Sue exclaimed. "You took so long to get back. It worried us."
"I'm relieved you are conscious Guild-master, But I would still like to examine you," Carmelle said, gesturing to the tent. "Let's make sure there isn't anything brewing under the surface."
Grudgingly, Scorese agreed, and followed her into the tent. Carmelle was efficient, but thorough. Satisfied, she stepped back and said, "I see no lingering effects. But you are exhausted. Though, we all are. Try to get some sleep." Turning to David, she nodded. "And thank you for fetching me so quickly."
"Do you need an escort back to your tent?" David asked, as he hovered near Scorese, focused more on him than what he was saying.
"No. Besides, I wouldn't want to take you away from your beloved." Carmelle turned on her heel and left the tent.
David stared after her in open-mouthed shock. He shook his head and glanced at Scorese who wore a satisfied grin that caused David to blush. "I'm, uh, I, uh," he stammered, groping for something to say. Finally, he blurted, "I worked magic without pain!"
Scorese nodded. "Good, your gift continues to mature! This is great news." Digesting David's words, he frowned. "What happened?"
David filled him in from the time he examined Scorese until he and the doctor returned. By the end, David could feel the anger radiating from Scorese.
Sue spoke for the first time, jolting them both. "You must address this!" She exclaimed. "That would never happen in the technology guild."
David could feel the tension dissipate as Scorese chuckled. "It sounds like David handled it quite well, actually." He turned to David. "I don't know what else to say, but I apologize that my grief caused you this much suffering, you and the other seers."
Every hair on David's body stood on end, magic swirled around him as his watch spell triggered. Horns blared, and explosions rocked the camp. Cries went up as men and women ran toward the earthen wall. Scorese said to David, "Watch what I do. This is normally a Seer's spell."
Scorese launched into a dance, moving into a graceful twirl, his arms out wide. The energy spun from Scorese's hands, threads of power weaving through the camp, and beyond.
Scorese began the second part of the spell. His spiral slowed until he stood, his arms continuing a gentle arc. His hands came together, and he laced his fingers pointing in front of him. A miniature version of the camp, and surrounding countryside formed, floating four feet off the ground. He made a sign with his hands, knelt and placed both hands on the ground.
David examined the battlefield, feeling guilty that he was safe behind the lines. Wave after wave of mutants threw themselves at the earthen wall. More like slathering beasts than humans, their misshapen hands with skeletal fingers, clawed at the wall in a futile attempt to destroy it.
"Hold your fire. The mutants aren't getting through. No need to waste ammunition." A voice spoke into the silence. David glanced around before he realized they could hear what happened on the field.
He walked the length of the floating model, curious about how magic would depict bio-mechs.
"You can walk inside the illusion." Scorese waved him on.
Taking a deep breath, David walked through the edge of the illusion. The bio-mechs appeared as they were, part machine part human. Monstrosities who voluntarily destroyed their bodies and souls by merging with machines. David shuddered as he extended a finger to touch one. He yelped as a hand clamped down on his wrist.
"Don't do that," Sue said as she pulled his hand back. "Touching someone establishes mind to mind communication."
David pulled his hand out of Sue's grasp and backed up in surprise. "How d'you know that?"
"I, uh, I researched it when you started having problems." Sue looked over David's shoulder at Scorese and then back at the illusion of the battlefield.
David crossed his arms, nodding. "You studied a war spell to learn about my blackouts?" He held Sue's gaze until she dropped her eyes.
"No. That came later," Sue whispered, tears sliding down her cheeks. She stood rigid, her cheeks crimson, refusing to look at David. "But it really started out with concern. I wanted to find out if I could help you." She shifted her stance, glaring at Scorese. "After all, his doctors weren't interested in the problems of a seer." Sue pushed her hair behind her ears. "I loved you and you couldn't even see it."
David stared at Sue, his mind spinning. She could do magic. She didn't seem surprised about Scorese. She was always there when he woke after a blackout. His feelings for her were most intense after the blackouts. Realization struck him like a sledgehammer. "Get out!" He screamed. He stepped toward her.
Turning on her heel, Sue ran from the tent.
David turned back to the battle, and Scorese.

#
"Our defenses are holding," Scorese said as David joined him at the base of the illusion.
David shook his head. "It doesn't make sense to me. Why are the mutants throwing themselves at our walls?"
"I believe they are trying to distract us from something, Scorese."
David spun around startled and annoyed that someone snuck up on him. Scores merely motioned to the tall thin man standing at the entrance to the tent to come in. "Guild-master Dunya. How good of you to finally join us," he said sarcastically. "You have news, I take it?"
"Really, if it's all the same to you," Tila Dunya said, adjusting the cuffs of his high collared shirt. "I will wait for the other expedition representatives to arrive."
Scorese nodded turning his attention back to the defenses. David stepped next to him, and whispered, "They aren't even trying to destroy the wall. I think he's right, it's like they're trying to distract us."
"Mutants and bio-mechs have worked together in the past, but they don't really have the intelligence to formulate—-"
David held up his hand, anger gave his eyes an orange glow. "You cling to teachings that have been proven wrong. Scorese, your rigidity is going to get us killed." He leaned against Scorese's side, sliding an arm around the man's waist. He swallowed hard as he felt Scorese stiffen.
When David looked up, he saw anger burning in Scorese's eyes. But he wasn't sure if Scorese's anger was directed at him, or someone behind him. David craned his neck around to see that most of the council representatives had arrived, and he had no clue how much they heard.
David felt a new wave of magic build. This time, he felt it grip him. Scorese's voice came out in a venomous hiss.
"While you are my Seer-General, I am still your guild-master," Scorese said as magic lifted David off the ground, dragging David away from him. "I have tolerated your insolence all I can."
David stared wide eyed into Scorese's as he slowly lowered one eyelid, and brought it back up. One corner of Scorese's mouth twitched upward, before his lips returned to a thin, grim line and he, once again, glared at David. "Since you are not serving your purpose," Scorese sneered. "Begone with you." He flung his hand out, and David flew out of the tent.
Scorese's voice whispered in David's ear, "You're right, the mutants and bio-mechs must have a human leader. This will free you to investigate." An invisible kiss pressed against his cheek.
#