A familiar face

It was only then when she actually recognized his face, and suddenly her racing heart calmed down, even though she knew about how dangerous that man was.

"Oh," made Roka. "You look different."

With the blond hair and the thin goatee he had grown, it was a surprising difference to the man she had seen first, be it only for a short time.

The Master took a step back, observing her curiously and after a moment his eyebrows raised, accompanied by an amused smile. "Ah, I remember. You were there when I build the paradox machine." He chuckled at the memory. "Suddenly just standing there and watching me. Like a ghost."

She remembered too. That day when he had ran inside the TARDIS to regenerate into a handsome young man, rambling some nonsense and then running off. Since she had no idea how to control the TARDIS she had had no choice but to stay inconspicuous and hide, only to get bored of it quickly and taking a look. Another Time Lord wasn't a thing she could have just ignored.

At first he hadn't noticed her of course, but after a while he had started to chuckle to himself, before turning around and strolling to the seat she had placed herself in. There he had observed her closely, without saying a word, as if unsure whether or not she had been real.

"A shame you ran away..." The Master interrupted the memory. "Thought you were quite interesting, sitting there as if it was nothing." He leaned close again, putting a hand under her chin to make her look up. "Not the slightest hint of fear in your eyes... again."

That day she had just smiled up to him, telling him that he would forget about her anyway, before leaving the room and a very perplex Master behind.

"Where did you hide, little ghost? It was a whole year after all and I've never seen you again."

Roka shrugged. "Can't remember." He must have activated the machine shortly after and everything from then on was lost to her.

She slightly winced when he put two fingers to her throat.

"Peculiar..." He made it sound like she was some sort of experiment. "Eyes can hide fear, but not your pulse. And yours is calm as a pond..." He chuckled to himself and grinned at Roka. "That's gonna be fun. I think I like you already."

"Please don't," she stated sarcastically and got back another amused grin.

"Shall we tell the good news to the Doctor? I bet he'll be delighted." The Master grabbed her arm and pushed her forwards. "Move. And remember... don't try anything funny."

The whole way back he held her arm grabbed, so she couldn't run. And probably also not to risk forgetting her. It was a short walk and not enough time to make any useful plans. She would have to wait and observe, being careful and smart to find a gap somewhere in his net.

The cell was mostly empty. Just an ordinary table and a chair stood in it. As soon as the door opened the Doctor sprang up, rushing towards the Master with a grim face.

"Lucky you, Doctor. Look what I just found." With that he pushed Roka into the room. The Doctor recognized her a few seconds later. It was always the same look people had when they realized her presence. A look of surprise and remembrance.

"Oh no... no, no... don't tell me you followed me," he uttered in disbelieve and concern.

Roka looked away. "I thought I wouldn't get noticed."

Suddenly she felt the Master crossing his arms on top of her head, again ignoring her personal space. He seemed to have fun with that, and Roka felt uneasy at being so close to another person., let alone this particular one. She could feel his two hearts beating against her back, calm and slow, and Roka couldn't avoid thinking about what a weird sensation that was.