A promise

"Ey, slow down a bit, will'ya?"

Darook's voice tore Roka out of her thoughts and she remembered the small guy that was sitting on her shoulders like a child. As much as she disliked it, his idea actually hadn't been bad. Like this he couldn't forget her and it made conversations a lot easier.

"Ya travel with him, right?" he asked, as she slowed down her pace, falling back a bit behind the two Masters. They were heading towards the festival again, after deciding the inn wouldn't be suited.

"Uhm, so far. You could call it that."

"Centuries old... can ya believe that? I mean... me kind lives for maybe sixty or eighty years, when we're lucky. Well, yours doesn't get that much older." She had no idea what to answer and kept quiet. "Say... ya two are from me future, so to speak..."

"Yes... but there are rules," she hesitantly said. "Time can be rewritten and..."

"Mhm... I see. Too bad. Would have loved to know if he's running off or not."

Roka felt a little sting as she remembered, that he had done exactly that.

"Y'know... I don't look like it to ya, but I'm old. Have maybe five years left or so, if it's much." He said it calmly and with no regret in his voice. "Might sound a bit funny, but since I told him, he's a bit weird." After a small pause he asked, "Does he have family?"

"Uhm... probably not." If he ever has had they were gone now anyway. Together with all the other Time Lords.

"Mhm... thought so. Don't laugh at me, lass. But I think, he'll run off, before I die. Can't blame him. Wouldn't want to see me only friend dyin' either. Guess I kinda owe him to shut up 'bout it." He sighed. "Took me in, ya know? Was a street rat my whole life before."

"You're probably quite useful to him." Roka smirked. "He said something about a smuggler network."

"Yah, brought him some fine contacts in return." Darook laughed to himself. "Thought I might earn me enough to leave that moon and visit the planet below once. Always dreamed of it. And now I'm here. Somewhere else entirely. Even another time! Blimey!"

Hadn't the Master told something about diamonds he had left behind? Roka glanced at the two ahead and pondered if he might have left them for that reason. An odd thought, considering that he usually cared for no one but himself.

Darook chuckled as she gave no answer. "That's a lot of secrets ya have there."

"Sorry..." she mumbled and really meant it.

"Ah, it's alright." He folded his thin arms on her head. "Just wish I'd knew a bit more about that chap. No idea, who he even is. And that after ten years, can ya imagine?"

"All too well," she mumbled and smiled.

The small guy suddenly snickered. "Ya seem to be a bit on the shy side, ey?"

"Uh... I... I don't know. It's just... guess I'm just not really used to people. The glitch, you know." She shrugged apologetically. It was true though. Usually she had no idea how to properly interact with most people. They all seemed to follow a fixed role-set. One she hadn't been able to pick up. Even after years of observing.

Darook laughed. "And then y'arund that guy? Well... he's a weirdo too. Might be fitting then. Hope, y'are not as cruel as him though. Man, I've seen him doin' shit, I swear, no one should do that."

"No, I don't do those things," Roka objected. "I... maybe some. Not the cruel stuff." But she also never interfered. Sometimes she could prevent a few things by bombarding him with stone cold logic. Truth be told, it didn't even bother her too much, as long as she didn't have to watch...