Cold fear

Roka sat on top of the wall and let her gaze wander over the countless containers. Large, metal crates in different colors, filled with who knows what. But she wasn't after the containments of those. There was only one she was interested in and, if she had heard and remembered it correctly, she knew which of them.

For a while she let her feet dangle, contemplating if she should wait for the night to settle. But the planet's days were nearly twice as long as earth's, so she would have to wait at least another one or two hours. The glimmering orange and faint purple of dusk must be dramatic enough she decided and hopped down to the other side.

In here she had to be more careful though. Outside the crowd and the glitch had protected her, but here she scurried from shadow to shadow, along the rows of metal, careful not to make too much noise.

The container was almost in sight when she heard steps heading into the same direction. Hastily she ran into the deep shadow of an especially large container stack, pressing her back against it. The steps stopped. Had she been heard? In this shadow she should be almost invisible, combined with the glitch it shouldn't be a problem.

But no matter how long she waited the steps didn't continue. That was odd. Had she imagined them? Or had the guard started to sneak? It was no use. She had to move if she ever wanted to reach her target. So she trod carefully and slow, peaking around every corner and waiting inside the shadows longer than maybe necessary. The twilight was as much of a help as a hindrance, making her as blind as everyone else.

She hurried along another row of containers, past its deep shadows, when suddenly hands came out of the dark, grabbing her. One hand was over her mouth, the other around her torso, making it impossible to move. But then she heard a surprised noise and when she looked up, her eyes widened and the man let go of her.

"What the heck are you doing here?" she hissed.

"Could ask you the same," the Master retorted and looked slightly uncomfortable. "You should be long gone."

A roguish grin sprang to her face. "Couldn't resist. I heard there is supposed to be fireworks later on. And they have a whole container full of it."

"And you thought it would be funny to blow it up?" He raised an eyebrow, then grinned back. "You've been around me for too long."

"You're here too... that can only mean you had the same idea." She chuckled and nodded towards the container.

Both moved the rest of the way in silence, but no one else was there to stop them.

"What have you gotten?" Roka hushed.

"Timed detonator. You?"

"Remote inflammable Havkarin fire."

"How in the universe did you get that?"

"Invisibility." She smiled widely.

The Master rolled his eyes and hissed, "Cheater." Then he snatched it out of her hands and threw it into the container, before nodding towards the exit.

They took another way back and snuck out of a hole in a fence, before melting with the crowd. The Master nodded when they were far enough away and Roka pressed the button inside her pocket.

Instantly all heads went up to the sky, where suddenly countless explosions melted with the colors of the sunset, chaotically spreading their noises and lights. Some of the fireworks flew dangerously close, others exploded right above the container deposit. Then there was an ear piercing explosion as probably too many fireworks in a too tiny space went off. A fire got visible at the containers, spreading fast and towards the crowd.