Twenty [Let's Get Wasted]

Niall likes his new condo. He likes the way it smells like new dry wall. He likes the way it’s freshly painted and built. He likes the fact that he’s hours and hours away from his father who still hasn’t spoken to him since Zayn let the news slip out of his mouth three years ago and his father closed Urban Ink for good. The new condo is a new start, far away from Urban Ink and everything that came with. If only Niall could afford to get laser tattoo removal, then maybe he’d forget about Urban Ink all together.

            But tattoos are permanent. Urban Ink left a physical and emotional mark on Niall, whether he likes it or not.

            “Niall, c’mon, let’s go shopping for a coffee maker. The old one broke in the moving truck,” Liam is slipping on his shoes and coat at the front door. Or maybe, Niall should call him Nurse Payne now, because Liam graduated a few months ago and is now a practicing nurse at the hospital only a few blocks away. Niall on the other hand is jobless, living off of his savings accounts and Liam’s help.

            “Yeah, okay,” Niall agrees, walking to the front door and sliding on his shoes, “But we have to look for any good jobs available while we are out too. If I don’t find one soon I’ll be so broke and have no chance for a good future.”

            “Sounds good,” Liam agrees.

            The two of them hop into the car and drive to the home improvement store called “Beth’s Bath, Bed, and More” where they walk up and down an aisle full of coffee makers and try to decide which on they like the best. Niall is a little distracted. The story is huge and for some reason there is this feeling in his gut that makes him uncomfortable. Suddenly, a worker walks past the aisle. Niall freezes. The worker is wearing a white shirt and black pants and of course, the apron that all workers are wearing. But there’s something that makes him stand out to Niall. The worker’s body is tan, his arms are tattooed and his hair is styled up. Niall’s heart pounds in his stomach.

            “Niall?” Liam calls, “Hello?’”

            Niall’s head snaps back towards Liam, “What?”

            “I’ve been asking you if you like this coffee machine for the past minute or so, are you okay?”

            Niall ignores Liam and walks out of the aisle and looks down the hallway, where the worker had just past. But it is completely empty. Niall’s heart drops.

            “Niall? What the heck is wrong with you?” Liam follows Niall and puts his hand on his friends shoulder, snapping Niall out of his trance.

            “I just thought I saw…. I just thought I saw someone I knew, that’s all,” Niall turns back to Liam, “What were you saying about this coffee maker?”

            They two walk back and continue their shopping, but Niall can’t stop thinking about the worker who just walked past and looked exactly like an ex of his. In fact, the only ex that Niall really cared about. It looked as though Zayn Malik had walked right past him.

            Suddenly a worked steps into the coffee maker aisle, “Hello, can I help you two?”

            Niall looks up and his heart drops. The worker standing there is tan. He’s covered in tattoos. His black hair is styled up.

            But it’s not Zayn.

            The worker is far from Zayn. His jaw line isn’t right and his eyes aren’t the golden color Niall learned to love. He feels heartbroken.