Field Trip

We were back at the room, for a good few hours now. Despite being covered in blood myself I was simply waiting outside the dorm room in my usual spot, this time I was sitting. It was 2 in the morning if sense of time was right - which it probably wasn't.

To my surprise the still broken door swung open slowly, creaking as it did so. Young miss Ruby Rose came out to visit again. She had cleaned up and was in a new pair of pyjamas. "Hey Doomy.. Can I call you that?"

I looked at her, I didn't respond and I looked back to the wall I was previously staring at.

Though this time I decided to speak up before she got the chance to continue. "It's late, isn't it? You haven't slept, so what are you doing out here? You've had an... eventful night."

This surprised her, I didn't talk often and I can only imagine how decrepit my voice was.

"I.. can't sleep." She admitted to me as she slumped next to me again.

I can't really blame her, she looks like she is merely fifteen. She was almost killed by demons and covered in the blood and other bodily parts.

"They were a lot more... death imposing up close, I don't know how you could dedicate your life to fighting them - VEGA said you did it for Eons.. I've only just seen them for real and I never want to see them again. I feel like I should thank you, for protecting me and our Academy." She was tired, rubbing her eyes and yawning.

"Look, Ruby. I can't protect things.. I'm going to leave at the earliest chance I have. And if my intuition is right - which it probably is - you will be seeing more of those demons. So steel yourself, and protect the ones you want to protect with all you have." I didn't have time to babysit kids, but everyone carries weapons, that means these kids do too. Hopefully they can defend themselves.

"You've already protected me plenty, Doomy.. Thanks again." She responded with a smile, it seemed sad though. I patted her head and smiled in my visor.

"No problem kid."

"Also, you should really clean yourself up a bit, you stink like death and you're getting blood everywhere." Well, she wasn't wrong, but I didn't plan on cleaning up, it was a waste of time.

We sat together for a while still, untalking and unmoving. Before long I realised she had fallen asleep next to me leaning against the wall.

Surely that can't be comfy.

I gently picked her up, using my shoulder to slowly open the door before silently making my way to her bed, pulling the sheets back and putting her on the bed before pulling them back up and tucking her in.

God, since when was I actually a babysitter?

I left back to my spot against the wall, closing the door over as I left and I slumped down again, waiting for dawn to arrive.

...

I was forced to clean up, with a joint effort from Ruby and the teacher supervising the trip - Miss Goodwitch they managed to push me and my suit into the shower. I turned the water on and stood still under it, watching it run red.

After a short while I left and rejoined the group as they waited for me, I could tell that they had mixed emotions about me, considering the ordeal last night. None seemed scared though, which was good.

We all loaded up on a dropship of sorts, supposedly called a 'bullhead'. There were 2 other teams too, one with the dickhead who I smashed through a table and the team in the neighbouring dorm, I believe they knew about last night. The team full of asshats was most likely oblivious though.