Pep Talk

So, on the trip back it was made clear to me that Grimm are attracted to negative emotions. Fucking Great. That explains why there were so many after me.

I had noticed something in my battles though, even against the demons: My weapons only had the basic upgrades. My infinite micro missile fire was non existent along with every other upgrade on my guns. I asked VEGA about it. Much to my disappointment with such low processing potential and available power he can't actually manage the weapons upgrade systems, great.

At this point in time I was in the furthest corner of the ship away from everybody else, Ruby looked pretty upset though. I sighed and motioned her over.

"What's the matter, Miss Rose?" I asked, trying my best to sound nice.

Why am I even doing this?

"It's just..." she started, before she could finish her thought she was cut off, Goodwitch was telling us we had arrived back at Beacon.

"Alright. Let's continue this chat soon then, okay?"

"Okay."

"Ruby! Let's go get some food!" Yang yelled out to her as the doors opened.

"Yeah I'm hungry." Weiss added.

...

Ruby's PoV

We had eaten and returned to our dorm with Doom. I managed to get dibs on the shower first and I left the bathroom once I was done, only to see a sight I hadn't expected.

Doom was on the floor doing push-ups while Blake was sitting on top of him reading one of her books, Yang was huffing from exhaustion on the ground near him and Weiss looked on, she had a conflicted expression on her face.

"What's going on?" I asked, everyone looked up at me, Yang laughed a bit through puffs and Weiss was the one to answer me.

"Yang thought she could beat the Slayer in a push-up competition since he had all that armour on, he insisted he needed another handicap so we got Blake to sit on his back. Guess who won."

I couldn't help but smile. And even laugh a bit, I knew he was a nice guy.

A while earlier.

Doom and I split off from the group when I grabbed my food, he wanted to know what was wrong with me.

I told him, no point bottling it all up.
"Well, you've been with us for a while Doom. It still feels like you.. don't trust us?" Geez, even through his visor I can feel his confused stare.

"Of course I don't." This caught me by surprise though. "Look, Ruby. You and your team seem nice and all but I think if you went through what I went through you wouldn't exactly be quick to go making friends. Friends who will probably end up dead anyway." He looked away and my eyes widened. "It's as VEGA said. I walked through Hell for Eons. Seeking revenge against the fiends who wronged me, I still haven't gotten it. I want to tear the throat out of every fucking demon I see - I can't make friends. I killed over 150 Grimm in that forest because they swarmed to me, they're attracted to negative emotions. The longer I'm here the more will pick up the scent or whatever the fuck it is they use.

I didn't have to worry about anybody dying except myself in Hell, I didn't need to worry about protecting others. I failed Ruby, I can't protect others - so I don't. I make friends and they die, I get a family and they die. I get so much as a damn motherfucking rabbit and they fucking die." He slammed his fist on the table. "These demons are fucking unrelenting, do you understand? They will destroy everything. That's why I must destroy them before they get the chance."