ONE

CHAPTER 1
DRAB

CORALINE remembered her first vision like it was yesterday

ओह! यह छवि हमारे सामग्री दिशानिर्देशों का पालन नहीं करती है। प्रकाशन जारी रखने के लिए, कृपया इसे हटा दें या कोई भिन्न छवि अपलोड करें।

CORALINE remembered her first vision like it was yesterday.

A major headache emerged between her temples as she took her Chemistry final exam. She had a constant throbbing in her head throughout the morning, but she assumed it was her own punishment for partying so late night. There had been a wild blow out down by the river, and just about anyone who was anyone was invited. Coraline wasn't just anyone; she was a someone — so of course, she had to go. As soon as she got home, she studied for the rest of the night, hardly getting a wink of sleep. Once this exam was over, she planned to go home and sleep, just so this headache would be over.

But the throbbing only got worse. Coraline tapped her pencil against the paper, going over the problem in front of her. It was about Avogadro's Law. She knew how to solve this, but the constant throbbing forced her memory to go blank.

A 10.0 L sample at 25°C and 2.00 atm of pressure contains 0.5 mole of a gas. If an additional 0.25 mole of gas at the same pressure and temperature are added, what is the final total volume of the gas?

She just had to use the formula. Shaking her leg, anxiety began to run through her body like a river. Coraline touched the tip of her pencil on the paper, ready to write down the formula, when her hand began to vibrate. She looked to the pencil, but her vision was suddenly blurry. Turning her head to her teacher at the front of the room, she realized that she could hardly see Mr. York as he flipped through the school paper. Coraline pursed her lips and wondered if anyone noticed her shaking. None of them paid any attention.

And then she snapped the pencil in her hand.

A few heads turned her way. Her friend and study partner, Amalia Beaumont, scooted her chair over to the girl at the other end of the lab desk. Amalia glanced to their teacher, who hadn't moved an inch, and then viewed back to Coraline trembling in her seat. She was fumbling with the broken pencil and tapped the desk in multiple places to find another, as if she was suddenly blind.

"Hey," Amalia whispered, despite other students watching the exchange. "Are you okay?"

Coraline moved her head in the direction of Amalia's voice, but she suddenly couldn't see a thing. Darkness clouded her vision. She reached out and grabbed Amalia's cheek, mumbling, "I – I can't –"

"Miss Avery," their teacher finally stood. He threw the newspaper onto desk and put on a fresh coat of hand sanitizer, preparing to walk over and confiscate Coraline's test. "There will be no cheating in this class –"

Coraline's body flew off the seat, as if it were being controlled by another force of nature. Everyone in the room stood and gasps filled the air. Amalia screamed bloody murder as Mr. York ran to Coraline's side. She vibrated on the floor, trying to hack up something that didn't exist in her throat. Her mouth was dry. Blackness covered her eyes. Her mind was awake, but her body was ... somewhere else. She tried reaching out to grab something, but ended up clutching onto Amalia's ankle, who shrieked yet again and wiggled herself out of Coraline's weak grasp.

HUNGRY HEART ━ Michael Langdonजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें