SIX

CHAPTER 6
INSUFFICIENT HUMAN SOULS

HER visions were starting to become a constant continuum

HER visions were starting to become a constant continuum. They were scaring her, awakening her senses to something big. A cataclysm was on the horizon, lingering over the edge of town. She wished she paid more attention to the signs. Maybe she could've stopped the impending doom. However, she was sane enough to realize that nothing could stop the inevitable – not even her visions.

As Francesca drove bumpily to the nearest hospital, Coraline's thoughts drifted to another place. She was outside her high school again. Familiar screams echoed from the inside. Coraline heaved, wanting to release a string of words, but nothing came out. She couldn't even run. Stumbling forward, she took note of the attire that barely covered her body: a tight, purple dress with a short skirt that flared out at the bottom. Coraline picked at the material, lifting her eyes to the scene ahead of her. Colored lights flashed inside the school. A banner hung above the entrance.

Her vision went blurry. She couldn't see the banner. She needed to see what it said. It was life or death now.

A hand clutched her arm, immediately pulling her back. The grip was gentle, yet firm. Soft fingers caressed the goosebumps that raised on her skin. Coraline stood there, watching the lights change colors with each shriek. She didn't know who was gripping her arm, but she felt the need to hold their hand. Her heart beat rapidly as the figure hissed, "Coraline Rose."

She finally turned. Two black eyes stared back at her.

•••

Michael sped to his house once he saw Francesca Avery drive away with her unconscious daughter sprawled out in the backseat. He jumped from Coraline's window ledge, landing perfectly on the patchy grass. He ran as fast he could down the gravel sidewalk, hardly missing a step and refusing to trip. Every move he made was so precise. He didn't experience normal human inabilities.

The door was unlocked. Miriam Mead was sitting in the living room, a set of candles circling around her as she sang to herself. Michael halted his steps once he noticed her humming. She sensed his presence immediately, opening her bright eyes and whipping her head in his direction. "Back so soon? You seem to be walking a lot lately." She huffed under her breath.

"I need you to drive me somewhere."

Miriam lifted a brow. "Why?"

Michael swallowed hard. "A friend of mine is in trouble." He wasn't trying to admit to going behind Ms. Mead's back by visiting Coraline, but that's definitely what it sounded like. At this point, he didn't care. She was his guardian, but she had no authority over him.

"A friend?" The short woman stood up from her position on the floor, approaching Michael with hesitation. "I don't understand, Michael. Why waste your time on these ... insufficient human souls? All they're good for is a sacrifice to the Father. They mean nothing to –"