TWENTY SIX

CHAPTER 26
SURVIVOR'S GUILT

CORALINE never thought she'd see her mother's smiling expression again, but here she was – right in front of her – grinning from ear to ear

CORALINE never thought she'd see her mother's smiling expression again, but here she was – right in front of her – grinning from ear to ear. She ran forward, engulfing Francesca Avery in her arms. Her grip was tight and unmoving. She felt her mother's hands run through her short hair, and it reminded Coraline of when she was little, when Francesca would brush her hair.

Everything felt so real. Even when Michael had agreed to her deal, there was always Coraline's pessimistic side telling her that it wasn't possible. As someone who could see visions of the future, you'd think she'd be a little more open-minded. However, it was rational to think that way. Things like magic and contacting the dead were topics you explored through Reddit and old Blogspot profiles. But here was her dead mother standing before her – hugging her – as if she were really there.

Coraline was surprised that she could feel her mother's grip. She felt her flowing white top against her cheek, and allowed her tears to stain it. She felt her own hands lock around her mother's skinny waist. She felt her chestnut hair tickle her fingers. She felt her long nose nuzzled against her hair. But when Coraline leaned away, she realized how ghostly her mother's complexion was. It was strangely white, almost sheer, like the linen shirt she was wearing. Her mother's skin used to be glowing and beautiful, but now it just looked ... dead.

"I'm ..." Coraline shook her head, taking in her mother's dark eyes and eerie features. "Mom, I'm so sorry. I should've saved you. I should've been there with you when –"

Francesca pressed a finger to her daughter's lips. "There isn't anything you could've done," she whispered, cupping Coraline's cheeks. "God would be so proud of you. I know he would. Heaven has assured me of this." Her delicate fingers rubbed away her daughter's tears. Coraline couldn't even roll her eyes at Francesca's religious talk, because she simply wanted her there.

"No, no, I – I could've stopped it," Coraline replied, voice cracking. "I could've, mom. I saw it happen. Six months before the bombs dropped, I had a vision. I should've done something. I should've told you."

"Stop that," Francesca reprimanded, her tone darkening for a quick moment. Coraline hadn't heard her use that voice in a very long time, not since dad died. Her mother's mood softened again as she admired her daughter's rosy face. "You're so beautiful. A beautiful girl with a heart of gold. You were made to outlast us all, Coraline. You always were, because God gave you that gift."

Coraline had to hold herself back from arguing. She sucked in a sob, wondering if her mother knew that she dabbling with Satan right now just to speak with her. Coraline couldn't be a gift from God. Not after all the bad shit she caused. She was a human body filled with to the brink sin and living with her own survivor's guilt. Why else would the Devil grant her the only thing she wished for? It hit her then: had Coraline Avery sold her soul?