Part 8: THIS IS WHAT MAKES US GIRLS

THIS IS WHAT MAKES US GIRLS

Lana's POV

24...25...26...27...

I remove my head from the water. 27 seconds. Almost half a minute underwater! Not bad. I open my eyes and I see Marina sitting on the edge of the pool, placing her legs on the water. She smiles at me. I smile back.

'Dont hesitate! Jump in!' I say.

'What about my clothes?'

I swim towards her and, out of nowhere, I grab her leg and pull it, forcing her to dive into the warm water.

'Aaaaah' she yells and then water fills her mouth.

'You, bitch!'

I laugh loudly. Her mascara runs down her cheeks and her perfect black hair gets kind of messed up.

'You made a big mistake messing with me.'

She starts throwing water at me while I'm laughing and it's hard to open my eyes.

Marina slowly gets out of the pool, looking annoyed.

'It's the first time in my life, a girl got me so wet!'

I love her sense of humor. I can't think of something to say so I remain quiet and get out of the water as well.

~

She is standing on the ground, wet to the bone and shivering, as I bring some dry clothes from my old teenage wardrobe.

'How is this happening?' she says. 'Every time I go out with you, I end up wearing your clothes.'

'This time, you get to chose. Red or blue sweater?'

'Blue.'

'Cool. I'll get the red one.'

We remove our wet outfits and instead we wear the clothes I carried. Some sweaters and jeans. Those clothes are pretty much comfortable, however, their smell is sort of intense, since they have been in that wardrobe for years.

Except from the clothes, I carried my old guitar because I think it's about time we start singing.

We get our seats back on the ground and I, immediately, begin tuning my guitar. I'm ready.

'What will you play for me?'

'It's an old song of mine.' I expain to her. 'Back then, the time I wrote it, I was dating a man 20 years older than me. I thought this could be forever. It wasn't. Cause I was a young, stupid girl and he was a dying man.'

I grabbed my guitar and started playing my song, Kill Kill, singing with my softer, deeper voice. Marina was smoking or looking away. By the end of the song, I caught her whispering the chorus.

'I'm in love with a dying man. I have done everything I can.'

As soon as I finished Kill Kill, I went on with another song.

'This is called For K.' I paused. 'Part 2.'

'Are you sure you wanna play this?'

'Yes. My songs are about moments of my life. Good moments. K is over for me. But I don't think I will ever forget that feeling when I first saw him. And I will always sing about it, too.'

For K Part 2 was one of those songs I trully liked. More than Part 1 to be honest. There was a Part 1.

'All right, you got me, I don't play a good guitar. But what do want from me from me, t's just a stupid bar.' I sang. She smiled. He knew I didn't play a good guitar. And she knew which was the stupid bar, too.

'Pretty Baby' I went on staring at her.

'Your turn now. Play your songs.' I said stopping my singing.

'I'm worse than you in guitar.'

'How is this possible?'

'I mean it. I could play the piano, though I understand this is hard to find.'

'It's not. Follow me.'

~

'My parents bought the most expensive piano, though nobody actually knew how to play. Every good family should own a piano, they said.'

We were at the living room approaching that large, black, shiny, dusty piano. Its white keys were soft and protected underneath their cover. Marina took her seat and I sat right next to her observing her skillful fingers while they, seductively yet kindly, pushed the keys. I never thought somebody would use it.

'This is called Numb' she says.

She begins playing a track that sounds like a glorious ballad and her voice goes so high while singing, I would never even imagine she had such potential.

'I got dark only to shine. Looking for the golden light. Oh it's a reasonable sacrifice. Burn burn burn bright.'

This is gorgeous. I can't help it. I get moved.

She goes on.

'Stars that burn the brightest fall so fast and pass you by. Cough like empty lighters.'

I look above us where there is a huge skylight on the roof. I used to love that window when I was a kid. There are a million stars above us and they all seem to shine brighter, when she sings.

'I know it sounds a bit like a Christmas song.' she says, when she stops.

'It sounds wonderful.'

'The next one is Obsessions.'

She explains nothing about each song and she doesn't need to expain anything. The songs speak out pretty clearly by themselves.

'We've got obsessions. I wanna wipe out all the sad ideas that come to me when I am holding you.'

I look at her face. Her hair is still wet and I can see her eyes are almost shut. She is such an experienced musician, she doesn't need to look at the keys.

'Some day, wake up, give me a cigarette, last night's love afair is looking vulnerable again...'

My songs are weak comparing to those.

She opens her eyes and looks at me, smiling softly. She removes her hands off the piano and places them on my wet hair, softly.

'Thanks for everything!' she says. 'I will never forget this trip.'

'I will never forget you.' I answer. 'Some day, I will write a song about you.'

'And how will this be?'

'Glorious. Yet, painful.'

'Why will it be painful?'

'Cause I know that this will not last forever. When will it be? Next week? Next month? You will have to return back to England.'

'I said I won't leave.'

'You said you won't leave tonight.'

'Yes. But you said it yourself. All that really matters is this moment. No matter what will come.'

She leans on me and removing my hair off my face and kisses me on my lips. I get surprised, since she stopped me before, but this time I will not stop. I kind of forget we are both girls and give myself to the feeling. This is what makes us girls. Feelings. True feelings, pure feelings.

I close my eyes and let her take the lead. Pale moonlight is shining on us while we'e kissing, through the skylight. Our worlds collide. Music industries, record deals, guitars, pianos, rockstar boyfriends, drugs, notorious bars, luxurious houses, vintage films. Everything that makes that world ours becomes meaningless and petty, during that kiss.

She stops for a moment and without removing her lips from mine, she says...

'I won't leave you. We can make it to forever. We can.'

We go on kissing while moving towards the couch.

~

Can we?