Part 9: STARRING ROLE

STARRING ROLE

Marina's POV

11 pm. And I'm waiting outside a coffeehouse in Brooklyn. It was 9 pm when Ian, my agent, sent me a text message that I have to meet him as soon as possible. He also mentioned that it is about something very important that we have discuss in person. I was still at Lana's house when I recieved his message, sleeping on the couch, next to her, surrounded by a bunch of cigarette butts, empty bottles and a guitar thrown on the floor. The room smelled like perfume mixed with alcohol and smoke. Rays of light entered the room through the skylight and, through the window, I could see light reflecting on the calm water of the pool. It was a beautiful morning. Until my phone rang and I started feeling anxious again. Nothing lasts forever, I guess. Not even happiness. Lana was sleeping and I didn't want to wake her up so I softy whispered in her ear.

'I have to go. My phone number is written on your Marlboro pack. Call me later.'

She mumbled something. I considered this as a sign of understanding, so I left.

I'm still wearing her blue sweater and my face looks tired and ugly. But God! Name one person that looks like a supermodel in the morning after a night of no sleep. Ian arrives at the coffehouse on time, as always.

'Nice sweater. Is it a new one?' he says while he's approaching me.

'Yes. I went shopping in New York yesterday.'

'Good for you. You should get off just a little bit.'

Such irony. I've been in New York for 3 days. I've been drunk, stoned, carried home, hooked up with a girl (or two, I don't really remember.)... And he thinks that shopping is my only way to get off. Bitch, please.

We get in the café and we sit on a table next to the window. The loud Brooklyn streets are in mute and for a moment they look pretty wonderful. He orders a cappuccino and I order a tea. No matter what, I'm an Englishman in New York!

'So what is it that you wanted to talk to me about?' I start off the conversation.

'I won't keep you anxious for long. It's good news.'

Relief...

'Tell me. I need to hear something positive.'

I still act like I'm miserable waiting for his so-called good news to light up my mood. This is a lie. I woke up next to Lana. I woke up with a huge smile on my face. It's been a long time since the last time this happened to me.

'Well... I am glad to inform you that we got a promising record deal from a British company!'

Pause...

'Is that it?' I answer bluntly. 'I already have a record deal from an American company. This is why I'm in New York.'

'Yes but...you don't understand. This is a huge chance. I get the impression that our current company is messing with us. Every procedure is delayed. And they just signed this other girl. She's in New York, too, these days."

"What other girl?" I say

"You know some british readhair girl, named Florence. I don't think you' ve met."

I stay quite. And I just smile, thinking of his reaction when he finds out he might have met her as well... It's all so surreal.

"You know...Operatic voice, flamboyant outfits, vintage style. Sounds familiar? See, there's only room for one and that doesn't seem to be you at the moment."

"I undestand."

"Their plans for you are unclear. I know about that stuff. They want you to play just a part, but I believe in you, Marina. You can have the starring role.'

'Thanks. Then, that's great news!'

'Great, indeed. The new company has faith in you. You'll get the right promotion, the right team. You'll work with a guy called Liam Howe. He loved your songs. You'll be what you always wanted to be. Number one!'

'Thanks, Ian. Then, that means recording sessions are cancelled.'

'Exactly. Actually, we are returning to London tomorrow.' he said frankly

My heart breaks into a million little pieces. My body freezes and my blood stopps pumping inside my veins.

'Tomorrow?'

'Yes. What's wrong? I know you're enjoying yourself in the Big Apple but some opportunities should not be missed.'

'Sure but...is there a way to postpone it for let's say...a week...at least...please?'

I sound desperate.

'Are you serious?' His voice is angry. 'We can't toy with those people. They are your future.'

I don't know what to say. Fate plays a tricky game on me this time. Why should my joy be so short? Why do I have to chose between my career and...Lana?

I have to see Lana. I can't leave without saying goodbye. I can't leave. I said we can make it to forever. I promised we will. I can't leave her.

'Tell them I need some time to think about it.' I answer after a long pause.

'You have nothing to think about. All they want is a yes or a no.'

'Well, I have a "maybe" for them. They should compromise with that. Otherwise, it's a no!'

'Where is Marina? The real one. The primadonna girl. This is your dream come true. How can you say "maybe"?'

I stand up and get ready to leave the coffehouse.

He stops me.

'Is this your final answer?'

'Yes. I need to think. Don't bother me for the rest of the day, please. I've got to arrange certain stuff.'