Twelve: Lost In Milwaukee

The drive with Cameron wasn't nearly as tense as I expected, even after he had referred to himself as poison. Perhaps he was only extremely negative about himself, but he seemed adamant and the least bit phased by the reference. I wasn't overly surprised considering Cameron rarely showed any type of emotion since I meet him, so why would he care about what people think of him?

Luckily, the closer we got to Milwaukee, the better the weather became. It was less cold and actually a little warm. Considering the lack of heat this car had I was thanking the gods. Again, Cameron didn't seem phased, though I'm sure he was used to the conditions he had to deal with since his car had many issues.

I attempted to get Cameron to join in on some car games but he showed little interest and at one point resorted to calling me a child. It was insulting to say the least, but I wasn't in the position to defend myself. We seemed to get to know more about each other and one thing that I noticed clearly about Cameron was that family is a sensitive subject for him - he can only talk about them briefly before becoming irritated.

As much as I wanted to learn more about his sister, I did my best to prevent family talk from joining us in the car, instead focusing on topics like our hobbies, aspirations and when things got quiet; the weather.

By the time we reached the warehouse, my legs were dying to stretch and I couldn't get out of the car fast enough, letting a loud groan of relief follow the satisfying feeling of finally being able to stand up.

"Always so dramatic," Cameron commented as he got out of the car and stuffed his keys into his pocket.

As he headed into the direction of the warehouse, I followed close behind, "So what exactly are you getting from this place?"

Without looking back at me, Cameron answered, "Liquor. They store really fine liquors here all season and for quality stuff it's a better price to buy here than directly from liquor stores."

I didn't know much about how the alcohol business worked so I simply nodded my head and pretended like I knew what Cameron was talking about, I had no doubt that he knew how to run his business so I wouldn't question it.

He was greeted by a tall man with a decent amount of muscles who motioned for him to go inside, "Good to see you again, Cam. No cops on your tail this time?"

The man's comment was followed by a chuckle and Cameron was less than enthused by the attempt at a joke, "Not this time, but if I see any I'll be sure to send them your way."

Quietly, I followed Cameron into the warehouse which looked just like any other warehouse. It was a wide open space with boxes around the floor and various shelves that held more boxes. It looked far from interesting which made me wish I had waited in the car.

"Who's the lady friend?"

Cameron looked over his shoulder at me, then back to the man, "An employee at the bar. Jeremy, Olivia. Olivia, Jeremy."

He did a terrible job at introducing us, but I didn't mind. Jeremy didn't seem like the kind of guy I wanted to get to know anyway. He was too quiet and shady, the way his eyes would just stare at me for what felt like minutes on end.

Jeremy moved his eyes to Cameron and motioned his head towards the far end of the warehouse, "I'll have my guys bring your order out to the car, come with me to the back so I can show you the new products."

"Stay here," Cameron told me before following behind Jeremy.

It isn't like I have a choice in the matter, I have no intentions on going outside and exploring around this shady warehouse. I'm not an idiot, at least I like to think that I'm not. Something seemed off, like Cameron was up to more than just picking up an order of liquor. He had become far more silent since we arrived here and maybe whatever they were doing in the back of the warehouse had something to do with it.