Thirty-One: Saying Goodbye

I'm surprised by how quickly court dates had been set for Cameron's trial, within the month there was a judge assigned to his case and he was going through the process of being sentenced. Now, Vincent is recovering. He's still in the hospital and his condition isn't great, but he's alive. Something shifted in his spine somehow and he's learning to walk again, I haven't seen him myself but I've heard things, mostly from my dad.

Home life has been terrible, I've been staying on Zoey's couch because I can't handle my parent's yelling at me and judging me constantly. Luckily, Zoey knows everything and doesn't hate me. She has been so supportive and I have no idea what I would do without her.

I haven't attended any of Cameron's court dates so I have no idea how things are going, I can only hope for the best but prepare for the worse at this point.

"Okay, hun. I'm off to an interview, help yourself to anything," Zoey tells me as she grabs her purse from the closet. She's been having multiple interviews since Cameron's bar has closed down, the landlord already has the property sold and the rumor going around is that the new owners are building a restaurant.

I nod my head from my spot on the couch, smiling at her, "Thanks... And good luck, Zoey."

Zoey gives me a friendly wink before heading out the door. I let out a long held sigh and checks my phone to see if there's any updates on the court's website, but there's nothing. Of course there's nothing, his case isn't big enough to get media attention.

My phone rings and an unknown number appears on the screen. Something inside of me already knows that it's Cameron before I even take the call. The operator on the other line asks me to accept charges from Chicago State Prison and I do. There's no hesitation, I need to know what's happening.

"Cameron."

"Hey," He answers, his tone is dull but I don't expect anything more. He's going through a lot right now and his voice doesn't hide it.

"How is everything? I uh... I haven't heard much in a while," I tell him, letting him know that I'm concerned even though I haven't went to watch the trial. It's too much for me at this point and I decided the best way to not get caught in Cameron's web again was to simply stay away.

Cameron exhales and I can imagine his arms flailing in frustration, "They're deciding... I'll find out the verdict soon, but Olivia, I know that it's a lot to ask, but I want you here. I get that you're angry with me and don't want anything to do with me, but all I'm asking for is a chance to see you once more before I get locked up."

It seems like a reasonable request but I have no idea how hard it will actually be when I'm there. It isn't about being around Cameron, it's hard to say goodbye to someone I care so deeply for, knowing where they're going. Knowing that they will be taken from me indefinitely.

I close my eyes tightly, unsure of how I should approach this situation, "I don't know if I can... It's a lot, Cameron."

"I get that, I do, but bab-- Olivia, I'm asking you to be here. I don't deserve your support but just come down here and say goodbye to me. Please."

"I want to be there and support you, though. I just can't imagine saying goodbye to you."

That did it. Saying it aloud made it all so real and although Cameron was only going to jail for a while, it felt like I'm about to lose him all together. I forget the bad things about him and I forget the pain he caused me because through all of that I had fallen for him and those feelings can't just go away.

There's a pause and Cameron doesn't respond right away. I hear him sigh, moments pass before I finally hear his voice again, "I don't want to say goodbye either, but I'd rather have the chance to see you once more... touch you..."