Chapter 3 - Tongue Tied

The problem with questions like that, there's always more to them. There's not always a simple 'yes' or 'no'. There's more to it because feelings are complicated. They're always complicated especially when the two people involved have a friends with benefits deal. Of course, Parker does like Elli, he has to to some extent otherwise he wouldn't be sleeping with her. He wouldn't make out with her or any of the benefits of their friendship but, that's not what Collyn means.

---- 4 years ago ----

Parker fumbles with his keys as he tries to hold onto the plastic grocery bags, partially cutting off his circulation. The lock clicks and Parker struggles to turn the knob, it's only when Collyn opens the door that Parker can enter properly, a look of relief on his face. Collyn quirks a brow watching his roommate enter the apartment with the bags looking to contain quite a bit.

"Thought Elli was going the shopping this week?" Collyn asks after relocking the door and following Parker to the kitchen table.

Parker's cheeks blush as he starts pulling out Orville Redenbacher popcorn and a few frozen pizzas. "Uh, yeah..." Parker pauses and looks to Collyn. "I kind of need your help." Parker rubs the back of his neck, looking to Collyn.

"Okay?" Collyn looks at Parker with confusion, opening one of the bags and pulling out little boxes of candy. "Are you planning to run a cinema from our flat?" Collyn jokes but Parker stares at him, almost holding his breath. "Oh...wait. What?" Collyn stacks the mini boxes and waits for an answer.

"Well, uh, I like Elli." Parker bites his lip and Collyn gains a smirk.

"Do you? Never woulda guessed." Collyn chortles.

"Fuck off." Parker rolls his eyes. "Was gonna ask her out tonight but I need your help setting up because class ran late and she'll be home soon."

"Oh, shit." A soft laugh comes from Collyn's throat. "So, you're really going for it, eh?"

Collyn has been pressuring Parker to ask Elli out for nearly a year. Parker's never admitted that he liked Elli until now but Collyn knew. He's not blind and Parker is terrible at hiding it, especially since the three of them have moved in together. But, Parker's always been different around Elli than he has been around other girls. Parker isn't the cocky type but he's not overly confident either. He can be shy but he can talk to girls. It's Elli that seems to leave him tongue-tied and flustered. So, Collyn never really thought Parker would get the guts to actually ask her out but he's happy with this new found confidence. Of course, he's not sure where it came from exactly, but he's not gonna bother to question. Instead, he's just gonna help anyway he can because he knows Parker and Elli could be incredible together.

"I really like her, mate." Parker sighs and a smile is etched across his face.

"Alright," Collyn rests a hand on Parker's shoulder. "What am I doing and how late ya want me stay out? Should I ring Ryan?"

"No," Parker groans. "Just a few hours." Parker's cheeks are back to a vibrant shade of red making Collyn laugh. "Just go to the closet and grab the spare blankets. Put 'em in the living room."

Collyn doesn't ask any more questions. He goes to the closest for blankets and Parker heads to his room for pillows and then Elli's room for a string of her fairy lights.

Movie nights weren't anything out of the ordinary for any of them. Whenever they had time and needed a break, the group of three would plop down with popcorn and pizza and a movie. But, it's never been just Parker and Elli and tonight was going to change that.