Chapter 9 - Selfish

Elli is sat on the floor, leaning against the frame of Parker's door with her legs extended partially down the hallway. Her phone screen illuminates her face as she sat texting Collyn and listening to the music that was still coming from the bathroom. The shower had stopped running about ten minutes prior and it was only a matter of time before Parker cut the music and made his way out. And that's exactly what she was waiting for.

As she put her pajamas on and got ready for bed, it didn't feel right and it won't feel right until it's sorted out. They have to figure out what they're going to do about their arrangement tonight, not tomorrow or the day after. Not with the look Parker had given her.

Maybe Elli should leave well enough alone. Maybe that could be the right thing to do but friends don't let friends go to bed with unresolved issues and they have a big issue staring the two of them down. So, she's sat outside his room, waiting for him.

Parker finishes brushing his teeth, his eyes still burning from crying and his chest still aching. But, mostly, exhaustion is setting in and all he wants to do is get to his bed. He wants to pretend like the night didn't happen and he can go to work the next day, proceed like it's all fine. He never talked to Elli. He didn't ask about Collyn, he didn't see Collyn ask her out right in front of him. He can ignore it tomorrow. Shove it into the black box with everything else.

Parker opens the door, allowing the cold air of the apartment to hit the warm and steamy bathroom. A shiver runs down his spine as he exits the bathroom, his eyes on the floor as it creaks beneath him. But, as his eyes go to look in front of him, he sees Elli resting her phone on the side of her, her eyes widen and he can almost see her holding her breath as he stops walking.

"Hey." Elli says.

"Hey...?" Parker asks, raising a tired brow before he starts slowly walking to her. "What're you doing?" His voice is raw and achy, immediately tugging on Elli's heartstrings.

"I thought it would be creepy if I waited outside the bathroom so I decided that waiting outside your room was a better option." Elli says, trying to bring a smile to Parker's face but he just stares at her, eyes distant and begging for sleep. "Okay," She sighs and stands up, phone in hand before she shoves it in her hoodie. "We gotta figure this out."

Parker runs a hand through his damp hair, his curls loose. "Can't we just talk in the mornin'?" He puts a hand on his hip, gesturing out with the other.

"You know we can't." Elli reasons.

"Yeah, well," Parker shakes his head, finding it harder to look at her the longer they stand in the hallway. "We're gonna." He moves into his room, brushing past Elli.

"Parkermy." Elli says, her voice pleading. "Please, talk to me."

Parker turns to look at her, a sense of disbelief across his face. He knows she cares and that's the only reason she won't leave him alone. And he knows her well enough to know that she hates bugging him about it. The only reason she's standing in his doorway right now is because of a deal they made. Elli respects his space and he respects hers, but they don't go to bed mad or upset and they don't leave mad or upset. It's the rule.

Parker takes a deep breath and takes a seat on his bed, ready to start talking. He already planned out what he was gonna say that didn't involve the secret locked box. "Collyn's in my mate." Parker says, eyebrows furrowed as he fiddles with his fingers. "Don't want you goin' out with him because I brought it up, your happy ending or whatever. Don't want you goin' out with him just to see, it's leading him on. He's my best mate and I don't want to see him hurt by you." Parker looks up to her, his eyes still begging for sleep.

Elli sighs as she walks into his room and sits beside him. "I'd never do that to him, ya know?"

Parker nods. "I'd hope not, yeah."