Chapter 15 - Lifeline

The words leave Parker's mouth without even a thought. They even surprise him but there's not even a single ounce of him that regrets it. He can't breathe without her and right now, sitting in the ER, that's when she should know. She's his lifeline and Parker would be damned if he ever had to lose her. He's in love with her and it's been true for a long time but it's the friendship.

It's always the friendship. He can't breathe without her friendship. Their friendship. Some people think soulmates are just a thing made up for money because the idea of a soulmate makes people think they aren't complete without another person and maybe, they are made up for money but everything else? Not true.

A soulmate is someone who makes people want to be better, be better for themselves and for others. They're the person that people confide in above all else and the person who's there willingly and almost uncontrollably through the good, the bad, the ugly, and the dark and twisty. They choose to there because there's always a connection, one that isn't said but simply felt when the other person is there. And it's not just people who are in love with each other and it's not a single person. Sometimes, soulmates are two friends who simply need each other in order to breathe.

Parker leans in and his lips press to Elli's forehead, eyes closing as he breathes in and he wants to say more, but he doesn't, not right now.

"You smell and taste like smoke." Parker smirks as his eyes open and Elli matches the look with the wiggle of her brows.

"It's cause I'm hot." Elli bites her lip to keep from laughing as Parker pulls away, a melodic laugh falling from his lips.

"Are you though?" Parker narrows his eyes and Elli's jaw drops with a gasp, hand going to her chest in mock offense.

"I am!"

"Mmmm," Parker hums, smile as bright as the nights above them. "You're alright." Parker jokes, pulling her back in for a hug.

"Jerk." Elli mumbles against him, looking up to him and she might smell and taste like smoke but Parker just wants to kiss her all over again.

"You love me." He says and the bright smile falls to one of kindness and love.

"Do I though?"

Parker snorts, head falling against hers and he's about to counter her. He doesn't want to tell her he loves here but maybe this could be it. This could be the moment because they're joking and maybe that's how it should be. Joking and it's just said. He wants to admit it and he just hopes she'd feel the same and admit everything that's been bottled up for the past two years. His bones and skin are screaming for him to do and her eyes are bright and she is so much more than he thinks he deserves and he wants to scream it to every single person in the hospital. But, that's when Collyn decides he's going to cut his bathroom break, walking back to his bed and interrupting the banter and Parker's need to tell Elli.

"Interrupting?" Collyn quips, taking his seat back on the bed and putting the mask back on.

Parker sends him a glare Elli doesn't see as she turns to look at Collyn. "Nah, it's fine." Parker says, looking back to Elli. His hands slide from her face and to her shoulders before giving them a soft squeeze and reaching for her mask, offering her to put it back on.

"Thanks, Parker." Elli thanks him with a hoarse voice as she takes it and puts it back on, a sort of cool form of relief coming to her lungs with the fresh oxygen.

"'Course, darlin'." Parker smiles gently, looking to the side for a chair to sit in but Elli's already moving over to make room for him.

"Sit." She says, leaning back against the bed, having left enough room for Parker sit beside her.