Chapter 8 - Just Friends

Elli's eyes are wide just like a deer in headlights and everything around her has seemed to still. Did Collyn really ask her on a date? She had no idea Collyn even saw her like that, they're friends. They've always been friends. It's who they are and they've cuddled a few times while watching a film or spending a night together but nothing more. And it hasn't happened since her thing with Parker started.

As far as Elli knows, he's never even flirted with her. But, Elli never knows when anyone is flirting with her, nonetheless, she's seen Collyn around other girls he's liked and she could swear up and down she wasn't one of them. Not until this exact moment with her mouth completely dry and her mind running a mile a minute, questioning how she's supposed to answer.

"Y-you...w-wh...what?" Elli stammers, trying to wrap her mind around how she could have been so oblivious. "I mean, it's not that-- it's just...I, uh--"

"It's okay." Collyn blushes, trying to hide the hurt and disappointment in his voice. "You don't have to. I've just liked you for a bit and figured the worst you could say is no, figured it'd best to just ask." Collyn sucks in a breath and forces a smile to his face, trying to show Elli that it's okay if she doesn't want to. "It's okay."

Elli shakes her head frantically. "No, no, it's not that I don't want to, it's just...I, ya know, just didn't know you liked me and I just, wow."

Collyn lets out a dry chuckle as he scratches the back of his neck. "Yeah, 've liked you for a bit but I thought you and Parker had somethin' going on." Collyn admits, his eyes going to the stage where Parker was sat on a stool playing his guitar and starting to sing the first song of his set. "Said you didn't so..." Collyn looks back to Elli.

"Yeah, no we don't." Elli huffs through a small smile, trying to ignore the pinking of her own cheeks.

Of course, she lies because that's the deal with Parker. They lie to anyone who asks and that's just how it is but this feels different. She's lied to Collyn before, plenty of times even because he's asked about random hickies and he's had his suspicion but it's been a while since he's asked her. And maybe this is why. Maybe he hasn't asked her because if she says yes, it'll hurt. It'll hurt hearing that her and Parker are the two with something going on and his feelings aren't being reciprocated. But, nonetheless, Elli finds herself blushing because It's Collyn. And he's a sweetheart and good friend and the idea of a date with him doesn't sound bad, not even a little bit.

The corners of Collyn's mouth can't help but pull into a sheepish smile as he looks at her. "Cool," He says, biting his lip. "So, do you want to? We could see a movie, maybe?" His brows raise slightly, hope in his eyes and more confidence in his voice.

Elli looks to the stage and Parker is looking at them, singing the cover of the song and strumming his guitar. The red and white jacket compliments his skin and the low lights hit him in just the right way making him look effortlessly beautiful. His eyes are on Elli and she has to turn back to Collyn because if she doesn't, she'll fall. The waves singing Parker's name over and over in the most beautiful and exquisite melody will pull her in and she'll fall harder for him than anyone she's ever met and she can't. So, she looks away.

"Uh," Elli licks her lips, the roaring of her heart drowning out everyone and everything in the room besides her and Collyn. "Yeah, actually. We can go on a date." She smiles up at Collyn, his eyes widen just as hers did only moments ago.

"W-really?" Collyn asks and it's like he'd be holding his breath just waiting for the no he was positive he was going to get.

"Yeah," Elli giggles. "Why not?"

Collyn never expected her to say yes. He only asked because he just wanted it off of his chest. He didn't want to have to look back in ten years and wonder what if or what could have been. But, he never thought she would agree because he's been sure that Elli likes Parker. And if she likes Parker, she wouldn't go with him. He's absolutely ecstatic and fireworks are going off in his stomach and through his veins but he's shocked.