Chapter 11 - How's This For Honesty

The words just fell from Parker's mouth, catching not just Collyn but even himself off guard. It's like the box itself got tired of listening to Collyn's pestering that it shook and shook and shook until it exploded and shed just enough light until Parker could reach it and hold it closed once more. And now the two are standing there, Parker's eyes moving to floor and Collyn's peering at him.

"Okay." Collyn says, taking a step back. "Tell her that."

"Can't." Parker says without hesitation.

Collyn can almost feel himself starting to vibrate with frustration and fury.

"You've come here to yell at me for asking her out because you're the one in love with her but you won't tell her? You've lost your fucking mind." Collyn rolls his eyes and takes a seat at one of the chairs.

"I told you," Parker runs a hand over his face, moving his other to his hip. "I don't fuckin' care you asked, it's that you lied."

"Whatever." Collyn mutters, tired of going in circles.

Arguably, he lied but Parker isn't innocent in lying. He's lying through his teeth and Collyn is just exhausted so he just accepts it and moves on. They've both lied and it's time to address the bigger question, the main reason Parker stormed to Collyn in a fit of protection over Elli.

"Why don't you tell her though? Pretty sure that's kind of the elephant in the room at this point." Collyn gestures a hand out.

Parker shakes his head, barely lifting his shoulders. "She deserves to be happy--"

"You know she's happy with you." Collyn cuts him off, voice filled with annoyance.

"Wasn't done." Parker says through a clenched jaw. "And better. She deserves better than me."

"Fuck's sake." Collyn groans, elbows on the counter as he puts his face in his hands for a few seconds. "Go on, share why you think you don't deserve her. Humor me."Sarcasm and frustration coat Collyn's words.

"It's not some joke, Collyn." Parker snaps, eyes narrowing.

"Yeah, sounds like it. Who are you to dictate what or who she deserves and what or who she doesn't?"

Parker licks his lips, holding a straight face. "She deserves someone who doesn't ignore her when she tells them she loves them."

Collyn's eyes widen and his face falls, watching Parker switch his attention to the bottle of beer, opening it. Collyn questions if he even heard Parker right but of course he did because what else could he have heard? But, why would Parker ignored Elli if she told him she loved him? That can't be what Parker means. Maybe Collyn has just misunderstood.

"What?" Collyn asks, voice showcasing his confusion.

"She told me she loved me and I ignored her." Parker admits, taking a swig of the drink.

Collyn blinks, clearly trying to process the thousands of questions going through his head. "Hold on. She told you she loves you? When?"

"I dunno." Parker shrugs. "Few months before she dated Shawn."

"And you just...ignored her?" Collyn just asks completely dumbfounded.

"Yep." Parker says.

"Because...?"

Parker shakes his head with uncertainty. It's been years and he still doesn't know why he flat out ignored her. He ignored it, the whole situation. It was easier to ignore it then and it's easier to ignore it now because now he just regrets it. He regrets it because it hurts now and he knows it hurt her then. And maybe that was his chance and he blew it and for what? Because he was scared or not ready for a relationship with her? Because she deserves better.