Chapter four

I smoothed down the dress I had chosen for the festivities tonight, a deep red that complimented my long golden hair. My lips were covered in some red paint from crushed cranberries and I wore a threaded bracelet around my wrist.

"I can't believe that idiot would fall in love with someone outside of Arden." Esmerelda hissed and I tossed her a side glance.

"It's romantic, I think." I smiled softly and she threw me a deadpan look.

"Yes, a forbidden love that gets you cast out of the city and possibly killed. How utterly romantic."

I rolled my eyes, as Esmerelda pushed the satchels under my bed. We had to be prepared for tonight. We had a change of clothes that would allow us to move more freely, along with some human money, food and water.

Finn told us he'd take care of the rest.

Esmerelda wore a long lilac dress and her dark black curls hung down her back.

"I've never felt such excitement Aurora."

I couldn't deny the excitement running through my own veins, however it was accompanied by nerves and the guilt eating away at me that I was doing this behind my father's back.

I sighed deeply and Esme tossed me a comforting smile.

"It'll be fine Aurora."

-/-

"You two look gorgeous." My father said, as we came into the room. "Are you okay to stay at Esmerelda's tonight? I won't be home until late after the festivities." My father asked and I felt nerves crawl up my chest but I smiled softly and nodded.

We left to walk towards the main clearing where all the festivities were taking place, including the main ritual, which we were leaving straight after. Ferrah spotted us and smiled brightly, dressed in a bright orange dress, her dark curls were pulled back and enter-laced with beads of every color.

"Laken." She said tenderly as she approached my father and hugged him, next her eyes moved towards Esme and I and lit up.

"My, I still remember when you two were small children, time moves so quickly." She said softly. My father was quick to agree and after idle chit chat, she pointed us towards our table.

I saw Finn and Alice were already there, along with a few other familiar faces.

"Good evening." My father greeted as Esme and I took our seats beside Finn. He gave me a small knowing smile just as the food was beginning to be served.

I grinned widely, my eyes not leaving the trays brimming with heavenly looking food.

-/-

After the food, came the dancing. Soft music filled the space and people began to fill it.

"Would you do me the honors?" Finn asked, extending his hand towards me. I gave him a quick smile before accepting his hand and letting him lead me towards the middle of the clearing. Around us, the adults 'awed' and swooned at an apparent young love, but little did they know.

Finn wrapped his arm around my waist and smiled politely at the people around us.

"Are you two set for tonight?" He whispered, his facial expression remaining the same carefree and happy demeanor.

I nodded quickly. "Yes, and you having the masking potion?"

He nodded again, turning to swirl me out of earshot of the couple by our side. He tossed me a charming smile.

"Why of course , darling."

I grinned, catching on to the game he was playing. I saw Esmerelda dancing with another nymph in the corner, her eyes meeting mine under the Tuscan lanterns and glinting dangerously. There was an unspoken tension in the air tonight, something only we three could pick up on.