Chapter 12

Quick author's note. Oh my LORD. This story has reached 4K reads. I never thought I'd get past 1k. It's insane!! Thank you for taking the time to read Aurora's story!

-//

It wasn't too hard to acquire a pen and paper, surprisingly enough. We were permitted to spend our free time between 5-6 in the library if we wanted. I had already scoured it for a pen and paper and thankfully I managed to find both. So as soon as I woke, I wrote the note I hoped would be delivered to Isaac. Firstly, I told him where I was ( based on Lily's sense of direction and what we both had managed to suss out in the time we've been here) and told him I was okay for now. I was going to leave it at that, but after staring at it for a few minutes I picked up the pen and added a final line.

I sighed, folding the little piece of paper and slipping in into the pocket of my jumper. The clothes of the human world were a lot warmer and easier to move around it. It had taken some time to become accustomed to them but I was growing to love the soft, large sweaters and all the different textures and materials used in their clothes. In Arden, all of our clothes was handmade by loose fabric. The elders were very hesitant to adapt any of the outside worlds habits. The little shop of books and antiques Finn collected was the only insight we were allowed into the outside world.

I waited and read for a while until my door was unlocked for breakfast. I couldn't concentrate on the page however, I was filled with nerves and excitement. Today would determine how everything turned out. I had to try and be discreet enough that Cavin didn't see me slip the bird the note.

The door was opened and Miriam stepped in, nodding in greeting. "Breakfast will be served in a few minutes. You can make your way down now."

I nodded meekly and pushed myself up off the bed, leaving the half open book on the bed behind me. Just as we loved to leave a loud crash echoed from above us, followed by shouts and screaming. I jumped in response as Miriam did the same and at the same time, the note inside my pocket fell out onto the ground. Panic filled my eyes and she noticed as hers narrowed with suspicion and she had bent down and grabbed it before I could react.

Her eyes found mine once more, hard and unforgiving. "Idiot. How did you hope to deliver this? Do you have a vendetta against yourself? This is suicide!"

Panic filled my chest and I wanted to cry and scream at the same time. Panic filled every cell in my body at once and I began to tremble. My eyes filled with desperation and she stared back at me with fear and disbelief.

"Please, Miriam. I can deliver it. Believe me, I know a way that will work. This is our way out, I know you've been stuck here for who knows how long but it's not right. The way of life here is horrible. This might be the only chance at escape we have."

Her eyes filled with a fire as she spoke. "I've been here for five years."

My hope began to fade but she surprised me as she said, "but I've never given up on hope, on the hope of a better life. I've a family I want to return to. A little sister called Mira, a mom and a dad, I have a life."

"Then help me." I whispered in desperation. "All you have to do is give it back and pretend you knew nothing. Nothing will happen to you even if I'm discovered."

She didn't blink as she asked. "How do you plan to deliver it?"

I choked on my words as I taught of how to explain it.

"Birds." I muttered out and her eyes filled with confusion.

"Birds?"

I offered her a meek smile. "I can communicate with the birds. I can ask them to carry this message."