Chapter 21

It had been a few days since our little trip to Arden and I was beginning to move on and accept this new life. It was completely different, but not in a bad way. Isaac had given me an iPhone and explained to me how to use it, Incase I ever needed to get into contact with him.

It took a while to get used to the digital world of apps and programs but I had the general gist of the iPhone now. He had also bought me a laptop so that I could watch movies and downloaded a program called 'Netflix.' I watched a few movies with Esmerelda, deciding I liked this new world of technology. Bits of it was confusing but I was quickly adapting.

"Aurora?" My door creaked open and Miriam popped her head in. Since we returned, she had been staying with Isaac's pack for the time being. Apparently there was a large alpha meeting taking place soon so she would return with her old alpha then. Even though Miriam was a human, she still lived within pack territory and therefore, had an alpha.

"How are you adjusting?" She asked tenderly and I shrugged.

"I like it here, it's different from home but it's becoming more and more familiar everyday."

She sat on the edge of the bed, looking down at the soft sheets. "I never got to properly thank you, if it weren't for you I'd still be stuck there, working for them...."

I smiled at her gently. "Miriam, you helped me more than anyone else to escape."

She nodded. "I just, I spent so long there that I can't believe it's over. I can go home and I can see my family." Her eyes filled with unsheathe tears and I smiled, averting my own to look out the large windows of my room to where forest trees ran for miles and miles.

"What's your home like?"

She let out a long sigh. "I love it. Even though I'm just a human, the wolves don't treat me any differently. There are rarely fights and the alpha is a good man."

I rested my head on my knees, looking down as I listened to her ramble about her old life.

"My family still don't know I'm alive, I'm going to surprise them but I don't know what I'll say, it's been four years."

I smiled gently. "You can start with hello."

Her eyes caught mine, before she smiled sadly.

-//

I found myself in Isaac's office later on in the evening. I wondered what he wanted to talk about as I pushed the large oak door open. I doubt he'd ask me to come to his office over something trivial and I felt a bit nervous. When I stepped into the room, Isaac was already there, along with two other men that were unfamiliar.

"Aurora," He sighed, coming over to greet me. "This is my father and former alpha of the pack, Jeremiah." He motioned towards the older man in the back of the room who nodded quietly in greeting. "And this is my third in command, Allen."

I greeted them politely before I looked up at Isaac with wide eyes, wondering what was going on. He sighed deeply, running his large calloused hands up my arms.

"This involves you so I didn't want to leave you out of the loop. Those vampires that kidnapped you belong to a large organization, they were part of a nest. The leaders have been contacted by the high council and the court date has been set for a month's time."

I blinked, taking the information. "Okay?"

"They May or may not call you as a witness."

Now I understood. They'd look into my background, where I was from and who I was, to determine how exactly I ended up with the vampires.

"It's a strong possibility so you'll need to go through a few fake court runs, we'll have to come up with some kind of identification of who you are. I'll forge it if need be, it's not a big worry but we'll need to be prepared."

I nodded slowly, "Did Any of the vampires that took me survive? Some of them knew that I could heal people, if that got out..."

He gently grabbed my face and kissed my forehead. "It won't, all of the ones that took you were killed in the town. Now it's just getting around the high council, remember you're a victim here, they'll try to help you too if you play it smart. And I'm here to help you, it'll be okay."

"I'm not worried," I said truthfully, looking up at him. "Let's go kick some vampire butt."

-//
I had almost finished dinner when Isaac told me he had a surprise waiting for me. I turned to him, mouth full of pasta and grinned, before chewing the rest of my food.

"What is it?"

He tsked, shaking his head. "That's why it's called a surprise, because I'm not suppose to tell you, idiot."

"Cmon, just a little sneak peek."

He leaned over to tap my nose and I scrunched it up, glaring at him.

"I just have to finished setting up the final touches, meet me in my room in ten minutes."

I frowned. "Can I come now?"

"Did I say now?"

"No, but-"

He grinned at me playfully before he left the room and I sighed wistfully before cleaning the kitchen to keep myself busy for a few moments. I could never handle surprises In Arden, not knowing what was going on always unsettled me, yet the fact that it was Isaac made a smile crawl onto my face.

I left the washing and made my way up to his room. The sun was beginning to set, casting a dull glow over the house and I watched as the sunset colors ran along the sky. I found his room easily enough and took a deep breath before knocking.

"Come In,"

I pushed the door open to see that Isaac had shut all the blinds and placed fairy lights along the ceiling. My eyes trailed the room to find him sitting on the edge of his bed, with a range of snacks around him. I caught jelly babies which were my favorite jellies and a huge smile came to my face.

"In your room, I saw you all the pictures and books you had of Van Gogh, the artist?"

I shut the door, leaving me in the room with him as the strings of fairy lights emitted a dim glow, but still managed to throw light on his face. I raised an eyebrow, wondering how he noticed that. True to his word, I begged Finn to look for books and prints of Van Gogh. I was mesmerized by his artwork and would spend hours reading about his life and work.

"They released a movie about him, I thought you'd like to watch it?" He asked softly and I nodded, wrapping my arms around his waist and resting my head against his chest.

"I'd like that very much."

I jumped onto the bed, grabbing the bag of jelly babies and popped one in my mouth and a stared up at him, patting the space beside me. "Cmon, slowpoke."

I saw the glint of mischief running through his eyes and he plopped down beside me, before rolling us both over and putting his arms on either side of my head, trapping me between his arms.

"Fast enough?" He grinned, brushing his lips over my neck as I went red.

"What do you think, hmm?" He teased, moving up my neck and peppering kisses along my skin. I went numb in his hands before I regained control.

"I think there's a bag of candy wedged into my back," he grinned, pulling me up again and leaned forwards to play the movie. He leaned back and then wrapped his arm around my shoulder and I smiled happily, leaning into his embrace, feeling as nothing could be better.

I watched as colors flitted across the screen, blending into a movie and retelling the things I'd read from the pages of a book in vivid color, it completely captured me.

His arms felt so warm, and I never wanted to leave but little did I know good things never lasted very long.

We were in the calm, just before the hurricane hit us. It always does but this time, in the form of striking red hair and past memories.