an interview with @psykicked.

❝ Now I know, that only love can truly save the world

Now I know, that only love can truly save the world. So I stay, I fight, and I give, for the world I know can be?❞

* * * 

Hello and welcome to an interview with the lovely psykicked. Is there a specific name you'd like to go by for the duration of this interview?  

Thanks and you can call me Nandini

Nandini, then. That's a beautiful name. Is it your actual one or a pen name you adopted?

It's my actual name. I used to go by a pen name but I ended up sticking with my real name

Ah, okay! My ''pen name'' is my actual name as well. So, it's clear to see you like heroes. What first got you interested in writing in this subgenre?

Well, I started writing in the hero sub genre after watching Flash. The characters and plot line really resonated with me as it combined fantastical elements while keeping some realistic aspects. Also, I've never really seen many books or superhero movies with Indian characters, so I figured why not write my own? 

It seems like The Flash has inspired a lot of people, haha. Also, I respect that reason. Representation is very important and I think all kinds of people deserve to have someone to root for in literature. With that being said, let's talk about Heroism. I see that it has won a Watty award. Congrats on that! What was the journey of writing that particular book like?

It was definitely a wild ride for sure. It started off as me just putting to paper the beginnings of a dream I had and trying to make a story out of it. I personally didn't think it was all that special. Once it started picking up speed and readers, I had to rush and write chapters that weren't all that coherent in my opinion. I do regret that. I wish I had slowed down and tried to develop my plot line and characters a bit more. That said, I've started to rewrite it, in hopes that my improved writing skills shine through. However, I'm forever grateful that I won a watty, and it's a title I hold proudly. 

I can relate to that. My first superhero novel was something that wasn't really planned out all too well. As a result, a huge rewrite was needed. I wish you luck with your own! 

Speaking of which, how far are you into it? Is it your main project or are you working on something else?

I'm only two chapters in because I've been busy with senior year (APs and college apps) but it will be my main focus. I have several side projects as well, but they have been untouched for a while.

I felt you on that one. College has seriously impacted my ability and time to write. Hopefully you get the time to continue soon!Would you mind telling me a bit about Heroism? Perhaps a short summary for those who haven't read it?

Sure! It's about a girl, who is a pickpocket. After realizing she has powers, she tries to save the people she once stole from. It's her battle with morality and what she's meant to do. Along the way, she befriends another superhero and works alongside him to protect the city from the new influx of super villains. 

Very interesting. Would you say that your main character starts off as an anti-hero before she realizes her powers?

Well, her morals have always been a bit skewed, so yes I suppose she's like an anti-hero.

So, in regards to your book Heroism, would you say you are happy with how it is right now? Are there any major changes you'd like to make to it?

Well, I wasn't really happy with the quality of the writing, so I started rewriting it. I'm pretty happy with the rewrite, which I'm working on right now. I'm just hoping to develop my characters and storyline more in this version. 

Well, we at Project Super wish you luck on those fixes. Editing and improving a story is never easy and takes a lot of hard work. What subgenres besides the superhero category do you think Heroism would fall into?

Mostly action but humor as well. I'd like to think I'm funny.

Those seem to be the most popular subgenres for superhero books. And it's good that you've got confidence in your humor. I know I don't, haha.

Do you have a preferred genre that you enjoy reading besides the superhero one?

Hey, fake it til you make it. I love reading mystery/thriller novels. To be specific, I really enjoy paranormal mystery books. The otherworldly aspect to a good ol' whodunit really enraptures my imaginative sense. 

I love a good mystery/thriller myself. They really keep you on the edge of your seat if written correctly. Last question for you, Nandini. Who is your favorite superhero (or villain) character and why? It can be from Marvel, DC, or a book on Wattpad if you wish.

I would have to say Spider-Man because of his childish nature. Sometimes, superheroes are just too angsty. He's proof that you can save the day and be happy I guess. I mean, there's the Gwen's neck snapping incident, and superheroes always die and then come back to life somehow, but for the most part I'd go with Spidey.

Spider-Man seems to be a favorite among the superhero fans. Is there anyone else you like?

Haha I also like The Flash and Wonder Woman. Those seem like the run of the mill answers but I haven't been able to read a lot of comics to really answer who's my favorite superhero.

Ah, okay. Understandable. The Flash and Wonder Woman are also great superheroes!

That's all the questions I have for you, Nandini. Thank you for joining me in this interview. I wish you luck in your future writing endeavors.

Thank you for interviewing me! 

Of course! It was my pleasure.

* * *

A few final notes:

- Make sure to check out Nandini's profile and book, Heroism.

- Vote for this chapter if you liked the interview!

A few lasting questions to be answered by you, the readers!

? Did you enjoy the Wonder Woman movie?
? Who is your favorite female superhero/villain?
? What's your favorite type of superhero book to read?

stay super x