The Right Kind Of Wrong

The view over London was spectacular, and as darkness continued to fall, the atmosphere seemed almost magical. The millions of shining street and building lights lit the landscape like a giant jewellery box, and from their position at the top of the 443 ft wheel, Darcy almost felt like she could reach out and scoop-up the diamond-like buildings and hold them in the palm of her hand.

It would've been quite a romantic setting, had it not been for the other 15 or 18 people they had to share the large glass capsule with.
But then she silently reprimanded herself. She shouldn't want it to be romantic.
Not with Loki.

He stood, arms folded, at the far-end of the compartment, his clever eyes taking it all in. Nothing ever seemed to get by him, and she loved the way he silently observed everything. But judging by his expression, it was easy to see he wasn't nearly as awestruck as Darcy was by the experience. Which was understandable. He'd seen space. He was from Asgard. No wonder everything here on Earth was so underwhelming for him.

Pressing her palms against the glass, Darcy strained to get a better look of the night sky. "It's too bad there's so much light pollution." She mused. "This would be a great spot to look at the stars."

"And was it your passion for the cosmos that enticed you into studying astrophysics?" Loki asked.

"Actually, I was majoring in political science. I found it interesting 'cause it covers such a wide range of fields...like law, sociology, history, philosophy and psychology."

"Really?" He sounded genuinely interested now, as he joined her by the glass. "How intriguing."

She darted a sceptical look at him. "Are you poking fun at me again, Mister?"

"Not at all. But I find it fascinating how you diverted from one profession to an entirely different one. Though for each subject, one must possess a certain level of intelligence."

She raised her eyebrows. "You think I'm too dumb to study science?"

He let out a low chuckle, and turned to face her fully. "I never said that. You have on more than one occasion attempted to psychoanalyse me, which is a daunting feat in itself. I realised then that you're not as you say...'dumb'."

She shrugged. "I suppose I should take that as a huge compliment coming from you, being as you're basically a genius. Which is probably why you don't like humans so much. We don't live as long and we're not as advanced. So you look down on us. I kinda get that now."

"Oh, you're not all completely unbearable."

"Wow, I feel so flattered right now."

"Thor's mortal, she is very intelligent."

Darcy bristled, feeling somewhat resentful and deflated, even though she knew she shouldn't. "Oh, right. Of course you meant Jane." She said this rather bitterly, and Loki immediately picked up on the sourness of her tone.

"Miss Lewis, are you jealous of Miss Foster?"

"No not at all." She quickly clarified, feeling slightly guilty now. "I love Jane, she's one of my best friends. It's just....I dunno, it sounds lame but sometimes I wish I could be her. You know, or have a life like hers."

"Why ever would you want that?"

Darcy sighed, trying to find the right words to express what she meant. "She's super smart, her family is proud of her. Everyone admires and respects her. She has a well paid job, and hey let's not forget that a freakin' GOD fell in love with her!"