Twenty.

Twenty.

The heavy breeze sweeps the leaves away in one brisk movement, and sends my wavy hair flying. With a contented grin, my legs set into motion to retrieve the stolen leaves. Sometimes I love the wind and others times I hate it, in this case I hated it because it blew me and Waylan's pile of leaves away. Now other times, I loved it. I loved it because it was so carefree. It doesn't care what it moves or where it moves it to. The wind is free from regret because once it's finished blowing, it either stops or moves on to its' next victim.

At three years old, I never knew what that meant but I knew enough about the wind to know that it was carefree. It was just like Waylan and I. We had no regrets because whatever we moved or wherever we moved it to belonged there. Just like these pile of leaves belong in the front yard. After lunch mommy let us come outside so we could jump in the pile of leaves.

Fall is here early- at least that's what grandma tells us. We're visiting her in the southeastern part of Tennesee; a small retirement community called Ridge Mount.
Her home is beautiful. It's a ranch style home with a small lake in her backyard. It's just for her and Russell, her golden retriever. Ever since my grandfather went to heaven last year, she's been living here alone. My mom visits occassionally to check on her, but for the most part, she's out with her church group. 

Anyway, I love this place. The fresh air, the clear water, the beautiful animals, the friendly people, and the delicious food. But unfortunately, all good things must come to an end because we're going back home next week. I don't want to though. I want to stay here forever.

"Livia, chase lees." He orders plainly before going back to his task of piling them up.

With my arms folded, I say,

"What's the mad jack word?"

"Pwease?" He asks more sweetly. I giggle at the peanut butter stuck on his small front tooth before running after more leaves.

My twin brother and I spent the rest of the afternoon piling leaves in the backyard. We had a plan, I'd  catch them while he piles them up. I had to remind him not to get too close to the water a few times. Mommy and grandma always told us to stay away from the dock and don't go near the water. 

"Olivia and Waylan, I have someone here I want you to meet!" My mom calls from the deck. She usually watches us from there but I see that she has someone with her. A man.

Oh no, Waylan.  

Noticing that he's near the dock, I run over to him to grab  his hand. I tell him what mom said so he reluctantly follows.

"He kind of surprised me coming all this way. But I'm happy to see him regardless, this is my...friend. His name is-" She speaks hesitantly. Her golden hair shimmers in the afternoon sun. I notice how close she is to us both. She's on bended knee while holding our hands in hers.

"I'm Mr. Rhodes," He gives a friendly smile before reaching in his back pocket.

I watch him with large, blue eyes as he digs in his pocket, searching for something. He's taller than my mom, and appears to be younger than her too. Shifting my glance from the giant man standing in front of us to my mom, I notice something different about her too. Why is she so happy to see him. I can see the beam in her light cerulean eyes while she reveals pearly white teeth. I always admired how my mother looked with red lipstick. I've always wanted to wear it too but she would tell me to wait until I was older.

"Can we go to play with lees now?" Waylan whines with a bored tone. Most people say that there's a quiet twin and a loud one. Waylan is the outspoken one while I'm more timid.