ii

"Oh Harry you must be so excited! Don't forget to scrub behind your ears love. I remember your mother always used to get so thrilled at the idea of running through the barrier... You're going to have such a brilliant time... I wonder what house you'll be in. Your parents were both in Gryffindor, but I think you'll be a Hufflepuff. Clean your face, Hazza, you're covered in cobwebs! You have those traits, you know? I'm sure your parents would be so proud if you were a Hufflepuff... Actually I think they'd be proud no matter what house you were in. Do tell me all about it when you get back, won't you?" Petunia rambles as I take my bath.
"Yes Auntie. I think you're more excited than I am! I'll send letters with Hedwig, just make sure they don't see them... I don't want her getting hurt... Where is Anguis?"

"I won't, Haz. She's sleeping under the radiator in the lounge. They aren't due home for another hour. You don't mind me dropping you off, do you?" I smile at Petunia as I step out of the bath and she wraps a towel around my shoulders.
"Of course not. I'll owl you as soon as I can after the ceremony to tell you what house I'm in and what everything looks like." I wince as she towels over one of my fresher cuts.

"Sorry Haz... I try to stop them... You know that, yes? I can't help what they do when I can't... I feel so horrible..." I know she feels so bad... I can't be mad at her for it. She tries so hard to stop them.
"I know you do. You'll find a way to fix it, I'm sure. You're rather clever with these things." Her gentle smile crosses her face with the compliment.
"Speaking of... I think I know a way to get you your own bedroom! I'll tell Vernon that now you're going to school, you're going to need space and that we wouldn't want the school getting suspicious if you hadn't completed a summer assignment, or if you were sick from the must. I have so many arguments for why you shouldn't be in there. I'll get him to agree."
"Thank you, 'Tunia. Oh! Did I give you the drawing?" She shakes her head in confusion. I perk up and run down the stairs to my cupboard.

One of my more luxury gifts from Petunia included a nice set of artist pencils and a sketchbook. If I truly desired something,than Petunia had a way of getting me it. One of these things being art supplies.

I pulled out a loose piece of sketchbook paper from under my 'mattress', then I ran upstairs quickly and handed it over. It was a drawing of Diagon Alley from just inside the entrance. Petunia's eyes raked over the detailed shop fronts and the cobbled floor.
"Is this?... Diagon Alley? That place you went last week?" I nod my head enthusiastically. She looked at it with wonder for a while before pointing to the sweet shop.

"This is... Honeydukes? I think that's right. Your parents would go there all the time with your father's friends. Could you send me something to try? If you can. I'd love to have another peek into everything." I laughed softly.
"Of course. Besides, with me there, do you honestly think you're not going to be learning with me? You'll be learning as I do. I'll tell you everything. You can't get rid of me that easy." Petunia has truly been the best aunt, and guardian, I could ask for; even though the other two were horrid, I will forever love my stand-in mother.

*.•° ♦ °•.*

They were stood between Platform Nine and Platform Ten. Petunia's eyes seemed glaze over with nostalgia as she saw a specific wall. She took Harry's hand and guided his cart to the place her eyes were locked on. She pulled him tight into her arms, tears threatening to spill.
"You'll write me at least two times a week, I would like it if you could send me some of your artwork from time to time. I expect you to behave, and I want your first letter as soon as possible." She pulled back; her eyes betrayed her as tears rolled down her face. She gently ran the pads of her thumbs over Harry's cheekbones and took in the outfit. She had spent the longest time rummaging through clothing to fit Harry better, not wanting him to look as scruffy as Vernon insisted he should.

"Oh, your mother would be so proud. You look so big dear! I'll miss you. Stay safe! Now, through the barrier quick. Before I either loose all self control and drag you back with me, or before you miss the train. Just run straight through. I'll see you at Christmas!" With a final hug, Petunia pushed the boy she raised towards the barrier, reminded all too much of the times she used to drop off her sister.

~ - ♦ - ~

"Harry! Harry, over here!" I search the platform for the voice that's calling me. When I finally see the blonde I head towards him and his parents. They have glimmering smiles and watery eyes. I rub all traces of tears from my face once I reach them.
"Hi Draco and Mr and Mrs Malfoy! Nice to see you all again." I give my most charming smile, remembering what Petunia used to teach me about how to present myself well.

"You'll sit in the train with me, won't you Harry?" I smile at him. Of course I'm going to sit on the train with him! He's been so sweet to me, and he doesn't even know me that well. His father, I believe his name to be Lucius, turned to me and looked me up and down.
"Your cloths don't fit very well, so they boy? Mind if I send you some over Christmas?" I can't help but voice my confusion, and in my eyes.
"I get presents?!" They look confused for a moment. Usually I get a present from Petunia, if she can manage, but never more than one! Or even from someone else! These people are nice.

"Of course you do kiddo! I'm sure all three of us will be getting you things. Do you know what you're doing for Christmas?" My face lights up, thinking of once I go back to Petunia.
"I'm spending it with Petunia this year! I'm so excited. Vernon and Dudley are going away with Vernon's relatives, but Petunia doesn't get along with them so she's staying home with me. It will be my first actual Christmas!" I am so excited. I think they could both see and hear that. Due to my little rant, Draco is probably going to have a lot of questions on the train. I can't seem to bring myself to mind.

The train whistles. Draco says goodbye to his parents and we headed towards the train. We only took our trunks and our owls (I bought Anguis as well). Draco's parents said they'd get my trolley to Hogwarts for me, as they have done with his. I thank them as Draco takes my hand and drags me away. We sit in the first empty compartment we find, side by side.

"So, what do you know about the wizarding world, since you were raised by muggles?"
"Oh, I know tonnes! My aunt tells me all the stories Mum used to tell her, and I have been revising ever since I bought my books so I'm not behind. I even bought a cauldron so I could practice potions with Petunia." Draco seems impressed.
"I love potions! Potions, astronomy and Care for Magical Creatures are going to be my favourite lessons. I can just tell they will be." As he says about creatures I remember my scaley friend.

"Do you like snakes, Draco?" He nods his head rapidly and launches into a story about how he always wanted a snake and used to keep the slow worms in his garden, much to his mother's chagrin.
"I can speak to them. Do you want to meet mine?"
"You can speak to them? That's so cool! Can I meet yours? What's it's name?" I smile wider at his excitement.

"Her name is Anguis. It's Latin for snake. Your name is Latin for dragon, so I'm not really surprised you'd like creatures." I tell him. I would like to finish my English conversation in case I accidentally speak to him in Parseltongue.
"Anguis, could you come and meet my friend? His name is Draco. I'm sure he'll love you."
"Of course, Harry." She slithers out from the top of my jumper and down my arm. She makes her way into Draco's lap, and he gently pets her head.

"Hello Anguis. My name is Draco. You're beautiful."
"What is he saying?"
"He said hello, and that you're beautiful." If snakes could blush, I'm sure she would be.
"Tell him he's handsome too. Also tell him I'm going to sleep on him, he's a bit warmer than you." Draco looked at me, as if to ask what she was saying.

"She said that you're handsome, and that you're warmer than me, so she's going to sleep on you now instead." He laughed and she slithered beneath his v-neck jumper to sleep against his stomach.
"She's cute."
"Yeah, she is."

I then remembered something Hagrid said in the way to Diagon Alley.
"Hagrid, that man from Diagon Alley, is teaching Care for Magical Creatures. That's cool, huh!"
"Yeah! Maybe he'll let us go see them during breaks!" I share the same hope. Every now and again I see him scratch something on Anguis gently through his jumper.

It's nice to have a friend.