viii

Mercury. Draco's eyes were mercury. He always thought they were grey, but Harry thought otherwise. They had been debating it for five minutes, Ron and Hermione making suspicious eye contact and deciding they should probably not get involved. They settled in studying instead.

"No. Harry my eyes are grey. They've always been grey."
"No. Your eyes were grey when you were younger. Your eyes were grey when we joined first year, and through second year, then we got to third year and your eyes were mercury. They're not grey, but not quite silver. They're bright, and hopeful, with an offset look of danger. Almost like you could snap at any moment. Dangerous, but beautiful all the same." After that, Draco was silent. They had been arguing for five minutes, yet that silenced him. Harry thought he had beautiful eyes? Did he mean that in the way he said it? Was it a friendly thing? He decided to just forfeit. He couldn't think straight after that, and Harry obviously wasn't going to give up.

Harry still had remnants of ink on his face from Astronomy the previous night. He had tried to clean it off in the mirror after his shower that morning, but he just couldn't get the last traces off. A few faint lines still adorning his face, and a few patches of colour vaguely resembling planets. It actually looked pretty cool still, despite the obvious attempt to remove it. Some of it was gone all together, but what was left pleased Draco.

"Nice face, Potter." Draco said. He rarely called Harry 'Potter'. It was mainly when he was teasing him, but sometimes if he was being overly sarcastic he's use his last name. Harry rolled his hazel eyes, and shoved Draco's shoulder.
"Piss off, Malfoy." He put emphasis on the last name. He wasn't overly find of being called by strictly his last name. Frankly it made him feel a bit unsettled, but he knew Draco hated it more than he did, so it was a good way to get him to shut up. As predicted Draco scrunched up his nose in displeasure.

Once again he found his eyes drawn to Harry's freckles. It wasn't even the faded ink. He knew that if it wasn't there he's probably be staring at them anyway. They caught his attention. He thought they were cute, though he'd never admit that to Harry. It would be embarrassing. Harry would tell him he was weird and never talk to him, because who finds things about their friends adorable? Okay, everyone but not in the way he did.

Draco has noticed over the past year he was looking at Harry in a room first, unconsciously searching for the ginger mop of curls. In a group he would look to see Harry's reactions first. He always cared more about what Harry thought. He knew then why. His parents were always really open minded and had explained sexuality when he was younger, so he would know. He knew then he was crushing on Harry. Hard.

Considering he was always looking at Harry, Harry was surprised he was never caught staring. He knew Draco looked his way a lot. He didn't know just how often, but he knew it happened. He was looking just as often though. They both had specific things they were fond of staring at. For Harry it was Draco's eyes, and for Draco it was Harry's freckles.

Dear Merlin, Harry's freckles. He could not stop looking at them. Is he wasn't looking at them, he was thinking about them (or had finally managed to stop thinking about Harry, for once).

And Draco's eyes; Harry was practically obsessed. If you were to ask him to describe Draco's eyes he could probably go on for hours about how 'the colours swirl and crash like tidal waves'. There were about fifty colours Harry could name for Draco's eyes.

They were both pretty obvious, and just as oblivious. Hermione knew first, if course, followed by everyone in Slytherin and half of Hufflepuff. Ron had even figured it out. No one spoke about it though. Well... No one besides Cedric, who has taken to trading Harry about it every now and again. He would find Harry in the common room and ask lots of questions along the line of 'How are you and Draco~?'.

"I need to revise now, Harry. You made me miss half of the lesson yesterday so I could entertain you. You said you'd help me, now help me." Harry rolled his eyes and sunk to the floor from his place in the sofa.
"Fine~. But you're going to have to actually pay attention. What were we covering? I'll give you the lecture." After being given the summery the teacher have at the start of the lesson, Harry started his. Within half an hour Draco knew everything he needed to. Harry was a better teacher than the teachers honestly. He knew how to summarize and explain things in a more understandable way. Most of the time Draco had Harry re-read entire lessons because he just couldn't understand.

Being taught by Harry, though he learnt quicker, wasn't always preferred as after a while Draco would get distracted and stare at Harry's eyes, or his freckles, or his hair- anything he could basically.

"Got it?" Draco nodded an affirmation, knowing he had lost the last five minutes, but he didn't complain. He was given an excuse to stare at his for eyed friend. Hermione kept giving him the side eye. She - of course - knew about Draco's 'little' crush on Harry. She was more aware of it than Draco. He just wasn't sure what the exact emotion was, but he knew it was strong and he knew it was positive. Yet another thing he didn't know that Hermione did? Harry felt the same.