vi

Petunia set down the chair in front of the nearly completed tree. All they had left to do is put the star on top of the tree and then turn on the lights. Harry climbed up gingerly, slightly afraid of falling. He stretched up as high as he could, as even with the chair he fell slightly too short to reach. He just managed to get the star over the top. Hopping off the chair with a smile, he looked to his Aunt to confirm he'd done a good enough job. Obviously happy with his work they both settled in the sofa with a mug of tea.

"This is going to be the best Christmas, Haz. I've... I've got a surprise for you..." The concept of a surprise for him shook Harry to the core. She had out the effort in to make a surprise for him?
"What is it?" He couldn't contain the curiosity. Petunia looked at her watch to see it was 3 'o' clock.
"You'll find out in about half an hour. " Harry was excited. He couldn't even bring himself to pretend he wasn't. For the next half hour he dipped tea and tried to pry any details he could out of his favourite family member until there was a knock on the door.

Petunia quickly hurried to answer it, and Harry could her many hushed whispers from the hall.
"-- Haven't told him yet--"
"-- Just like his mother--"
  "-- Missed him--" There is no possible way he could be more confused. Petunia stood in the entryway of the lounge, pointing for someone to stay put, when she next addressed Harry.
"You know how I told you about your Mother and Father's friends? Well... After a bit of struggle I managed to catch up with one... And he has been dying to see you. How would you like him to spend Christmas with us?" Harry's eyes lit up like the Christmas tree they just finished setting up.

"Yes! Who is it? Is it Padfoot, Moony or Wormtail? It was a male voice so I'd assume they'd be the safest options."
"H-he knows the nicknames?" Petunia rolled her eyes so hard Harry was sure she could see her brain.
"Of course. It's all Lily ever called you, so I didn't know your actual names until she was twenty. At that point it was habit." Harry was obviously restless and so Petunia finally gave in. A tall man, with a large amount of scars came around the corner. Harry looked him up and down for a moment when he smiled.
"Moony!" He ran at the giant. Petunia so bad dishes out some of Lily's old letters to show Harry, and so now he could describe her friends as well as she could. He tied his arms around Remus' waist.

"Mother said you were really tall and really good at hugs, and I'm half of that. I say we need to have a good tall-and-short hug." Harry is exactly four foot. That puts him about five inches shorter than what he should be. Meanwhile Remus is six foot two, so it looks a bit like a free hugging a bush, but it's adorable anyway.
"You look so much like your mum, Pup." Harry directs his hazel eyes at the taller man.
"Really? Everyone says that. Is it the hair? Snape always stares at my hair.."
"Severus Snape? That greasy git is still at Hogwarts?" Harry can't suppress tiny giggles.
"Yep. He teaches potions."
" Does he know hair cleaning potions exist?" Once again Harry can't hold back his laughter.

"Tell Snape Remus says he knows where he can buy shampoo if he needs it. I'm sure that will ruffle some feathers." Harry scrunches up his nose.
"I think I might get in trouble for that. Ooh, you should just come to school with me!" Remus ruffles Harry's soft orange curls.
"I don't think they'd let me pup, but you can always write a note to Dumbledore and ask?"
"You should teach DADA. Professor Quirrel is creepy. You'd be a lot less scary." Remus shakes his head.
"I get real scary once a month, Pup." Harry tried to remember the letters to remember what it said cheered him up. When he pinned it he smiled at looked up towards Remus' scarred face.

"Sirius always used to say you're not scary. Well he actually said: 'Moony you fold your socks, forgive me if I don't tremble at the sight of you'. I doing that kinda funny." Remus just stands there stunned for a long while before Petunia finally buts in.
"Well why don't you two sit down, I'll make some more tea. No point loitering in the hall!" She scuttled into the kitchen and the hugging duo broke apart to fall into a tangled heap on the sofa.
"You're really warm Remus." He nodded his head.
"Yeah, James always used to say that." They share a mutual - kind of sad - smile.

"I think this is going well, don't you boys? Maybe we should do this again next year."
"Oh! Next year we should have Padfoot come too! It would be fun! And Wormtail!" Remus seemed to look a bit more uncomfortable at that...
"Well I'll definitely come again if I can Haz, but I don't know about the other two..." Harry didn't let his smile falter.
"Well even that would be great. I like you Remus. I think you and Dad would have been really similar. "Remus dramatically clutches his chest.
"I promised myself I wouldn't cry!" And the three fell into fits of almost sad giggles, happy to spend the holidays with something better resembling a family.