2.2

It was never great around this time of the year but when Gwenyth Xing Liang wanted to have lunch with her, there was no way she could decline her sister. Not when her sister barely ever gave her the time of the day anymore. 

Gwen and London had been inseparable when they were little children and when high school came their closeness was not on the same level but they were still good friends. The sisters may work on each other's last nerve but they loved each other and they eventually got along. There was nothing London kept secret from Gwen and there was nothing Gwen kept secret from London. They were the best of friends.

Everything changed when their mother died.

Her death was sudden, so unexpected that it took more than a couple of days for the news to sink into both the sisters. But it was enough to draw a wedge in between them. Death was said to bring people closer together but for the sisters, who had been close to begin with, the death of their mother only managed to drive them apart.

Today, out of all days, was not a good day, but London was not willing to sacrifice her chance at lunch with her sister just because of that. No matter how valid today was, perhaps it was better to spend it with her sister. After all, who better else to understand her pain and grief other than her mother's oldest daughter?

Gwen had always gotten the special treatment, was always treated the better of the two sisters. At home and even when they both went to school. But it wasn't something London actually minded. She didn't live in her sister's shadow. The two sister were far from being alike and London often preferred being the less noticable of the two. She didn't crave attention like Gwen did. She couldn't be happier that the spotlight fell onto Gwen.

"London!"

She whirled in her seat when the sound of her name caught her ear. There was no way anyone was going to miss that loud voice and she smiled when she saw her sister walking towards her.

Gwenyth Liang wore a red short plaid dress, her lips coated in bright red lipstick and with her dark black hair flying with the light breeze, London had to admit that her sister looked amazing.

"Damn girl," London exclaimed, her eyebrows raised at her sister. "You're all dolled up. And you're looking really chirpy today. Did I miss something?"

Today was no day to smile but it wasn't something that could be helped when she saw her sister, especially if her sister seemed to be this happy.

"I've got exciting news," Gwen said, her grin wide and uncontrollable.

"On a day like this?" London questioned, eyebrows furrowed. She was never the one to call out Gwen but her sister was always straightforward and while that wasn't necessarily a bad thing, sometimes it made her seem insensitive.

"Yes!" Gwen didn't even know what London had meant by that question.

"Well," London said, wearily now, "What's the exciting news?"

Gwen squealed, thrusting her hand in front of London's view. "I got engaged!"

London stared at the delicate diamond ring that sat on her finger, a mixture of happiness, guilt and jealousy evident on her features but in all of Gwen's enthusiasm, her sister failed to catch London's mixed feelings. "Inesh finally popped the question?"

"More like I popped the question," Gwen giggled. "I told you that we talked about marriage before and with his mother pressuring Inesh to marry the perfect Sri Lankan girl, Inesh couldn't break it to her that his relationship with me was serious. I doubt his mother wants him to get married to a Chinese woman but I mean, he loves me and I love him, so I told him I wanted to get married and I'll wait until he's ready. He said he needs time to think of a way to make his parents give us their blessings but he'll definitely put a ring on it." She wiggled her finger, the light bouncing off that beautiful diamond ring.