3.7

note: this is the final chapter to part iii! Updates will be during the weekend only, for now at least. Uni has gotten hectic and it just makes me want to bash my head against a wall or something. So many tests, so much studying, so many assignments... I might die from it all. I'm exaggerating but it is hard and time-consuming. I still have stock chapters though so updates will continue on the weekends. 

Be sure to drop your thoughts in the comments and vote if you enjoyed the chapter xx 

  ══ ● ══    

The instant London's phone rang with an unknown number, she picked it up, her heart racing with excitement.

"London Liang?" asked a masculine voice on the other side of the line.

"Speaking," she replied, trying to calm her chirpiness but her excitement simply could not be contained.

"This is Christopher," said the voice on the other side of the line, picking up in his tone, "Christopher Wang."

"Oh my God, Chris!" London squealed, her lips widening into a grin. "I wasn't expecting your call at all. What has it been? Three — four years?"

He laughed and she wondered what he looked like now. Had he changed? Was he still dating his highschool sweetheart? Did he still prefer his coffee black and bitter?

"Three years, I think. You dropped out at the end of second year, right? And I graduated two years ago so yes, three years. Damn, that's a long time, Londy," Chris said, laughing lightly.

"Londy," she repeated, rolling her eyes but the smile was still on her lips. "You think three years would've made you forget that hideous nickname."

"It's cute," he protested.

"Far from it, honey," she shot back, amused that they had slid into casual banter without any awkwardness. Three years was certainly going to make you tentative around each other but Chris was a whole other story. He was so open, so fun and relaxed it seemed like three years wasn't all that of a long time.

"Not that this isn't great," London started, "because it's bloody fantastic hearing from you again. But is there a reason you've called? I don't mean to sound rude but my sister was setting up a call for me and I'm kind of waiting on that."

"That would be my call, honey," Chris said, his voice laced with amusement and London felt embarrassed immediately, "Not that I haven't thought of my awesome friend from my uni days who suddenly disappeared from my life and refused to return my calls—"

"I can explain," she rushed in, guilt shooting through her. She remembered now why Chris and her didn't keep contact any longer. She dropped out of university which was around the time when she was struggling to cope up with life and her mother's death had taken its maximum toll on her. She had managed to cut everyone out.

"Nothing good ever comes out if you start with that sentence," Chris said but he sounded like he was joking. Though his words were meant to ease London, she still felt guilty and horrible. "Calm down, Londy. You can explain it to me when we meet up."

She paused, not sure how to progress from here. Now, there was that awkwardness that was missing. Braving a smile, she said, something the London back in her uni days would say to Chris, "Funny of you to assume that I'll agree to meet up with you."

"Funny of me to assume you wanted a head chef's job," he shot back laughingly.

"Holy shit," she breathed, her mind finally clicking in the last piece. That was why he called.