5.7

note: this is the last chapter to part v, but I promised this weekend would be a double update weekend, so do look out for the first chapter to part vi!

Enjoy, and do comment your thoughts! I'd love to hear them. 

   ══ ● ══    

There had to be a reason why things were going smoothly for London so far. She knew not to get her hopes up, that it was all too good to believe and yet she let herself get whisked away by a fantasy that was beyond her control.

The audition for head chef that Chris had messaged her about and the day that Gabriella picked for her to audition for sous chef both fell on the same day. Both didn't start at the same time but there was no way she could make it to one without missing the other.

"I don't know what to do," London sighed, looking miserably down at her pasta. She and Andrew were supposed to be having a romantic dinner before he returned back to work to clear out his weekend, and she was ruining the whole mood but if she didn't talk about it it would only make the evening all the more depressing.

"What do you want to do?" Andrew questioned, cutting a piece of his steak and popping the piece in his mouth.

"Are you not listening? I don't know what to do — why are you smiling?"

"It's nothing," he shrugged but the smile on his lips that he tried so hard to suppress had to mean something.

"I know, it's stupid," she rolled her eyes, aggravated at both the situation with her job and the situation with her boyfriend. Could he not be considerate for one second? Andrew was always considerate so the fact he was trying to play off her deep concerns threw her off and made her feel annoyed.

He reached over the table, the hand that was previously holding a knife now enveloping around hers, that stupid smile still on his lips. This man had a problem.

"It's far from stupid and I understand what you're worried about. The way you're talking now just reminded me of that one time you found me drunk at Tollerz, as you were clocking off from work. You were so straight, so blunt with me. Your patience is close to none."

His words shocked her. Was he complimenting her or insulting her, she couldn't tell. "Thank you?"

"I like it," he affirmed, his smile smoothening out into a gentler one as he gave her hand a squeeze. "I like that you're blunt and you let your aggravation show and that you're sharing and ranting to me. I like listening to you speak, London Liang."

She stared at him again, this time at a complete loss for words. Her heart reacted to his words first. It thudded against her ribcage, picking up its pace as her body heated and her face flushed. Her mind caught up seconds later, registering his heartfelt words. Her lips tilted up.

"How do you always know what to say?"

He shrugged, shooting her a cocky grin and a wink. "What can I say?" he shrugged nonchalantly. "It's a talent."

She laughed, unable to help it from escaping. London Liang was an easy person — an easy person to make upset, an easy person to make happy, an easy person to laugh, an easy person to fall in love. It might not always be a good thing, but it definitely was not always a bad thing.

"The best way to make decisions like these is to weigh the pros and cons of each opportunity," Andrew said, retreating his hand so he could get back to dinner.

London picked up her fork and took a bite of her pasta. It dissolved in her mouth, the sauce working lovingly against her palette, and that bite was all it took for her to dive into the rest of the dish.

Andrew had the mind of a businessman, so she took his word and nodded. "Ok, let's list out the pros and cons of this new job that my friend offered me."

"Pros of taking up this job is that you finally get to be head chef," Andrew pointed out. "It's something you've always wanted and now that the opportunity has presented itself you need to choose if that's worth putting everything on the line for. But, there's no guarantee you'll get this job. You only booked yourself an audition. I believe in you. I've had your cooking and I know you can make it and get the job. The question here is, are you willing to risk losing what you have now?"

All his points were valid. London also loved how he put in his reassurance with his analysis. She thought it to be cute. He was always so considerate, and she was silly to let her annoyance get the best of her earlier this night and think otherwise.

"And for working under Gabriella as a sous chef?"

Andrew's eyebrows drew together. "What does working at Tollerz mean to you?" he asked, and London had to take a short moment for she expected him to start listing out pros and cons as he'd just done with Chris' job offer.

"I've worked there for a long time. They obviously couldn't take me in without any experience so I worked in two restaurants before applying for Tollerz. I didn't expect to get the job, mainly because there were many other more experienced and advanced applicants, but I did get the job and I remember being over the moon that day. It was one of the best days I've ever lived. I've learnt so much at Tollerz, developed culinary skills that I wouldn't have developed elsewhere. I owe a lot to Tollerz, to Gabriella mainly and I'm actually quite honoured that she considered me to be sous chef material."

London smiled, fondness in her voice as she talked of her boss. It was strange, for London was always trash taking her boss — well, not trash talking per se, but it was always complaints that left her lips. Now, sitting in a crowded restaurant with Andrew, she realised just how valuable her current job was, the title of sous chef or not.

"Being a sous chef at Tollerz means a lot. To me, and to future employers. I could kickstart a successful restaurant with my background if I were to be a sous chef from Tollerz."

Andrew nodded, a hint of a smile playing on his lips. "I think that's every pro right there for sous chef at Tollerz. Any cons?"

"I give up on a once in a lifetime chance to be a head chef."

"For which would you be paying a greater price? The one with the less opportunity cost obviously is what you want. And from what I'm hearing I think I know what it is that you want."

"Yeah?" London breathed, feeling a rush beneath her skin. "And what's that?"

"You don't need me to tell you something you already know."

"And what it is that you think I know?"

"London," he laughed, shaking his head. Taking one more bite of his food, he placed the utensils down and reached for her hands, gathering both of them within his hold. "Tell me, what do you want to do?"

"I think," she began, letting out a huff of breath, "that I want to remain in Tollerz and try out for the sous chef position."

He beamed at her and smiled back, feeling more confident. She was glad that she confided in Andrew about her worries and the dilemma she faced. For a moment she felt like she was ready to risk it all and go for that head chef interview. But if she had she might have not made the cut and Gabriella may have been furious that London didn't run this by her first that she had to skip out on her interview at Tollerz and may fire her, leaving London jobless.

As she leaned over the table and placed a gentle kiss on Andrew's lips, she decided right there and then that she wanted this supportive man beside her, for however long as she could.

When he smiled at her she felt her heart lift. She was content again.