Chapter 11: I Can't Handle It

⚪Danny⚫

I sit up in bed and run my hands through my hair. It's been three days since our worst fears wrecked Casper High. I spent those three days calling in sick from school. Jazz helped convince our parents to let me stay home.

I still didn't want to go but I forced myself to leave the comfort of my bed. I get dressed and pull my backpack on. I take a deep breath and head downstairs. "Danny, how are you feeling?" I turn to look at Jasmine as I descend.

"Fine," I tell her and she shakes her head. "I don't believe you."

"I know but I really am. I need to get to school." Jazz hesitantly drops the subject and lets me leave. On the way to school I run into Tucker and Sam. "Danny!?" They both hug me tightly. "We're so glad you're back."

"Yeah, me too," I say only half meaning it. But I'm determined to be more positive. "I see you guys survived a few days without me."

"Only barely," Tucker says and I smile. "Come on or we'll be late." I nod and walk with my two best friends until we arrive at Casper High. I look at all the students laughing and messing around.

"It's almost like they weren't attacked three days ago." Tucker says and Sam nods. "At least these people can afford to continue life as usual," I say and my friends look at me. I hear laughing and turn to see Aden and Vivian. She's on his back, arm loosely wrapped around his neck, and Aden's supporting her by holding on to her legs.

"Stop, before you fall, Vi," he tells her but in vain as she slips taking him down with her. They explode with laughter and smile at each other. That feeling returns but I ignore it. Vivian looks up at us but I turn and enter the school.

"I need to go hand in my homework to Mr. Lancer, I'll catch you guys later." They nod, saying goodbye before going their own way. I slip my backpack off and dig through it until I find my folder for Mr. Lancer's class.

I slip my backpack back on and continue walking down the hall. "Danny," someone calls, I turn and suddenly am enveloped in a hug. "You're back!" I almost don't hug her but my arms move into action on their own.

"Careful, you might catch my cold." I say, a small smile appearing as she pulls away. She smiles up at me. "I'm not too worried about that. It's been a mild three days without you Danny."

"Sorry, wasn't feelin too well and I didn't want to get anyone else sick." Vivian smiles. "It's good that you're back. Where are you headed?"

"I need to drop off homework to Mr. Lancer's. But I'll catch you at lunch, okay."

"Okay," she says almost dishearteningly.

♦️Vivian♦️

I leave my class and head for the cafeteria. I meet Aden and together we go to get our food. I sit down with him in front of Sam and Tucker. "So this is really happening?" Sam asks gesturing to the two of us.

I share a look with Aden. "Sam, don't be rude," Tucker says and Danny walks up, sitting on the other side of me. Sam flings a french fry at him and brings a small smile to the grim boy's face. "Great now it's mine," he says eating it.

"Hey, Fenturd, I haven't pummeled you in three days and now it's time to cash in!" Dash grabs him on the back of his collar, roughly jerking him out of his seat. Sam and Tucker rise glaring at the dumb jock.

Danny's eyes narrow glaring fiercely at Dash. I have never seen him this angry before. I watch Danny pull his leg back and deliver, what looks like, a painful kick to his knee. Dash yells in pain, letting go of Danny, holding onto his knee.