Chapter 18

I can't believe what I just heard. Lane told us that we're having a baby boy. I can't describe this feeling. So I just gape with my mouth, looking really stupid, while receiving a massive hug from Peeta. I see Ivy jumping up and down, giggling like crazy. Lane smiles at her and ruffles her hair.

"You're gonna have a baby brother." she says and Ivy giggles even more, then, when Peeta breaks away, and I look into his eyes, I see pure happiness and joy. Then, I feel my lips curve into a smile, impossible to wipe away. My jaw is stiff, it is impossible not to smile. But I am okay with that. Peeta kisses me once.

"We're having a boy." he says, and I think I see his eyes tear a little. They seem shiny. But no tears fall. I feel so happy for having a boy this time. Then we'll be two boys and two girls, so Peeta won't feel so left out. We can have 'mommy-daughter' and 'daddy-son' - days. We'll be two and two. That's perfect. I would have been just as happy if it would have been another daughter, of course, but this only seems like a bonus. While we are in our own world, Lane puts up another check-up in a month. I'll be very showing then. No one will miss my belly. Now, I'm pregnant enough for some people to ask, but not for all of them. In a month no one will miss it. I kiss Peeta's cheek and continue to smile. I'm so happy right now. I almost don't notice when Peeta says bye and pulls me and Ivy out through the door. The little baby that has been kicking inside me is a boy. I can start calling him 'he' now. Peeta leads us to the car and places me in the seat beside him again. Before he starts the engine he leans down and kisses my abdomen. He strokes my cheek.

"We're having a son." he says. I nod and close my eyes. I am still inside this bubble, only vaguely aware of my surroundings. But Peeta's touches I would know anywhere. Same is the case with my daughter's voice, that breaks the bubble.

"Mommy, what will his name be?" she asks and taps my shoulder from the back seat. I chuckle a little.

"We don't know that yet. But we will know when he is born." I tell her and she looks impatient.

"Why can't I know now?" she asks and sits down on her seat.

"Because we will know when he is born. We don't know it yet." I repeat. Peeta tells her to put her seatbelt on. She does, and I do too, and then Peeta pulls out from the parking lot. When we are home, we get out of the car and go straight to Haymitch's. We walk in, and find him sober on the couch. He is watching TV. When we walk inside, he looks up, raising his eyebrows.

"What." he says, and when we don't answer, he continues. "Katniss you look stupid. Tell me." I realise that I have a really stupid expression and quickly put on a smile.

"It's a boy." I say and kiss Peeta's cheek. He lifts Ivy up in his arms and she hugs him around his neck.

"It is?" he says, and then seems to regret what he said. He usually isn't excited about anything.

"Yes." Peeta says and starts rocking Ivy in his arms. She giggles.

"Well, congratulations. You know I only want you to be happy." he says and smiles a little. Wow. Haymitch actually said something nice. So I decide to invite him over for dinner.

"Would you like to have dinner with us?" I ask him. He shrugs his shoulders.

"Why not?" he says and turns the TV off. He gets up, and we walk to our house. Haymitch's house is a lot cleaner now. I mean, it isn't tidy, but it isn't filthy anymore. The floors aren't smelling like rotten food and vomit anymore. When we are in our kitchen, Peeta immediately starts working on the dinner. It is almost half past six, so Ivy is getting hungry. Haymitch takes Ivy to the living room so that I can have some private time with Peeta. When he is cooking something complicated, he usually doesn't want to be disturbed while cooking. But I think I still can sit at the table, watching him. It is fascinating. Once in a while, he looks at me and smiles, even blows a kiss at me once, and I laugh at his silliness. I see that he is making a luxurious lamb stew, with all kinds of vegetables and dried plums. It really smells incredible. He cooks rice to go with it and then he mixes it with the rice. When he is done, he is sweaty by the steam rising from all the pots on the stove, and wipes his forehead.