Chapter 22

When I wake up in the morning, I feel the smell of bread. When I concentrate, I smell that it is cheese buns. My hand trembles on Peeta's side of the bed, and of course, he isn't there. When I get up and look for Adrian in his crib, I find it empty. He must be with his Dad. I dress in a dressing gown and skip downstairs, excited to see my family. When I reach the kitchen, I don't only find my husband and son, but my daughter and Haymitch as well. He must've been eager to get free of her, although I know that he likes being with her, deep down.

"Hey Mommy!" Ivy yells and hugs my legs. I stroke her forehead and smile at her. She hasn't been able to do that in a long time because of my swollen belly.

"Good morning Ivy." I tell her.

"Good morning, my beautiful darling." Peeta says when he sees me, taking fast steps towards me and enclosing me in a hug. I return it and kiss his jaw. He gives me a real kiss.

"Hey." I say. Peeta chuckles.

"I tell you 'my beautiful darling' and you say 'hey'?" he remarks playfully. I laugh a little.

"Good morning my wonderful, amazing, handsome husband, did you sleep well?" I tell him, and he chuckles.

"Now that you mention it, my love, as a matter of fact I did." he says. That does it for Haymitch.

"Yeah, yeah, if you go any further I will probably vomit." he says, and I turn around to face him. That's when I see that he is holding Adrian. I suddenly wonder if that's a very good idea. I turn to Peeta and raise my eyebrows.

"Don't worry, he's sober." he says, and I nod. I walk over to Haymitch.

"Hello, little one." I say and take Adrian from Haymitch. When he is in my arms, he instantly whimpers and turns his face to my chest. I sit down on a chair and Ivy skips to the chair beside me. I feed Adrian, and when I am done I see three pairs of eyes staring at me. I look at them.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I ask them and Peeta is the first one to return.

"Because you have no idea. The effect you can have." he tells me. I snort.

"You haven't got that either." I tell him, getting up and pecking him on the lips softly. "Anyway, weren't you going to make me breakfast? I'm hungry." I say.

"Oh, yeah, sorry." Peeta says, returning to his cooking. I chat with Haymitch for a while, and he tells me that my mother is on the way. I wonder how he knows that. I'm happy to see my mother again, she hasn't visited since Ivy's fourth birthday. She was too busy when Ivy turned five, so she didn't come. I don't know if I will ever rebuild the relationship with my mother entirely, the atmosphere is always a little tense when she is around. But I still like seing her, I get a reminder of the happy moments of my past. They are not many, and they are mostly hunting memories from the woods, but also happy family memories. Memories of my Prim and me playing in the kitchen while mother and father sat together on the worn couch. Memories of the delicious meals my mother cooked when my father and I's hunting trip had been extra successful. When my mother tucked me into bed, while my father sang the Hanging Tree for me. Memories like these maintain in my head when she visits. I would surely have forgotten if she hadn't visited.

"Here you are, darling. Feed yourself." Peeta says and kisses my cheek. I smile at him and hand him Adrian. They look really alike.

"Hey, did you hear that my Mom's coming here?" I ask him. He nods.

"Yeah, she's coming somewhere past noon." he says, and I start eating.

"Have you heard anything from the Hawthornes?" I ask him. He shakes his head, but Haymitch clears his throat.