7. Online Sources

How can you properly research online? In a time with so much technology, we have unlimited information at out fingertips. The internet provides endless possibilities, but is can be hard to separate truth from fiction and bias. Here are some tips on getting the facts, and nothing else.

1. You can evaluate online sources in three main steps- Publisher, Author, Content

2. Publisher- to figure out who's running the website, look at the domain. (The three letters after the dot). If it ends in .gov, it is a government website. The information is fact checked and true. If it ends in a common domain, .com, .org, .net, etc., it is open to anyone.

3. Author- some websites manipulate the truth to gain agenda. Check for a mini biography, find out if the author has expertise on the subject. Look up the author, if the website gives no author, be skeptical of it's contents.

4. Contents- some websites will try to advance an opinion. Try to recognize if it is, and if the opinion is informed. Using emotional language is a red flag. Sometimes older posts can help you figure out how people reacted to a certain event, but some are just wrong.

5. Be skeptical of websites you have not heard of.

6. Do detective work, find the 'About' button and read the statement by the editor or publisher. Try to find out if the website has any bias or slants in their view point.

We have the world at our fingertips, but acting cautiously, and smartly can help keep you from being overloaded with bias and lies.