12. Learning

Here are some of my favorite tips on how to make learning easier.

1. A poor way to study: Late night cramming, very stressed out, being bored with distractions present.

2. The best way to learn: Combine your vision, hearing, and movement*, when you are trying to learn something new.

*Combined with lots of sleep

3. Your working memory can hold seven "chunks" of information at any moment. Practice until you can combine multiple chunks into one.

4. You become smarter by LEARNING NEW CHUNKS!

5. Major study tool: Minute Sketches

6. How to do a Minute Sketch: 1. List the terms you need to learn in order to understand the concept, on one half of the paper. 2. Sketch the concept on the other half of the paper. (DON'T WRITE THE TERMS DOWN ON THE PICTURE) 3. Explain the sketch without looking at the terms. 4. Repeat!

 What are chunks? Chunks are pieces of information

 What are chunks? Chunks are pieces of information. When you were a toddler, each letter in the alphabet was made up of multiple chunks. 

Take the letter A for example, there are two diagonal lines and one horizontal line. Each line became a chunk. 

When you learned to combine the chunks, the letter A itself became a chunk, and so did each letter in the alphabet. 

To make the word Sat, you needed three chunks, but when you learned to combine those, it only needed one.

Combining chunks helps you learn things. The more chunks you combine, the more information you can hold in your brain!

See you next chapter!