8. Test Preparation

The key to doing well on a test is studying. What are some good ways to prepare for tests? If you are going to listen to music when you study, I suggest playing relaxing classical, or spa relaxation music. These types tend to be soft, and have no words, eliminating distraction.

1. START EARLY, ASAP!!! Schedule study sessions throughout the week or month.

2. Know what is on the test, if you don't, ask the teacher.

3. Use a teacher made study guide as a CHECKLIST, not the complete guide to everything on the test. You can also make your own study guide. You can review old test to see what information was covered and what you need to review. This is helpful for a final exam.

4. Choose a place to study where you can spread your notes out, and that has no distractions like TV. Be sure to be well rested and eat well before a test. Small meals and healthy snacks are great options.

5. Use graphic organizers- Venn Diagram, Flow Chart, Bubble Map, Timeline, Cause and Effect Diagram, and Charts

6. Preparing for test questions-

Multiple Choice- Cross out answers you KNOW are incorrect. Read the question and cover up the answers.

Matching- THINK!!! Match the easy ones first

True or False- Know your teacher (is he/she sneaky or tricky?). True statements must be COMPLETELY true.

Fill in the Blank- Sometimes the length of the blank offers a clue, write down possible answers in the margins.

Short Answer- Look for clues in the other questions, read carefully, and address ALL parts of the question.

Essay- Be neat, read prompt carefully and ask the teacher if you don't understand.

Preparing for tests isn't easy, but hard work is rewarded with high grades.