13. Being a Self Advocate

Self advocacy is speaking up for yourself, knowing your right and responsibility, standing up for what is important to you, seeking to improve your life, not waiting for other people to tell you what to do, and making your own desisions.

1. When to be a self-advocate: If you have a question or problem with something, if you are confused, or if you were unfairly treated.

2. When you advocate for yourself, you should assess your situation, plan how you are going to speak up, and then DO IT!

3. Positive Verbal Communication: Think before you speak, use your manners, speak confidently, and don't mumble.

4. Positive Nonverbal Communication: Keep eye contact, keep distractions away (NO electronic devices), smile, open posture (Don't slouch), always shake hands confidently.

5. When writing emails to a teacher: Don't use slang, use proper titles, limit or avoid emoji use, avoid unnecessarily LONG emails.

6. When in a study group: Schedule in advance, make the goals of the group clear, come prepared (study before hand as well), bring you questions, stay focused and be relevant, be respectful, limit your group size (4-6). Large groups are distracting.

Thanks for reading! Also, thank you to Kotlcfandom2018 for adding this guide to their reading list! Stay tuned for more tips, tricks, and info!