Dancing in the Dark

"I'm sure I don't need to say this-"

"Then don't," Willow said.

She leaned in from the back and propped her elbows on the front seats. Limpid eyes scoured the scene through my windshield, and I wondered what was going through her mind. Most witch families mingled with humans from time to time. Some considered it a necessary evil. Others, enjoyed the sense of power it gave them. A few, their numbers slowly rising, actually embraced life among the humans, believing themselves to be no better or worse.

I studied my companions, wondering which camp they were in. The Goodwins fell firmly into the second group. Humans were playthings, but Ash had yet to express any thoughts or behaviors that might lead me to think he agreed. Willow- well, it was hard to say. Her mother, Antonina, was a Goodwin, but she shared her husband's love and respect for all living things. But they rarely left Black Brier.

"Well, I'm saying it anyways. No magic. For tonight, you're human."

When I said those words, my eyes darted to Ash. I wanted to see how he would feel about pretending to be human, but he nodded in agreement, his eyes solemn. Willow exhaled loudly, but she nodded as well.

"Y'all, this is a terrible idea."

"Come on, Rose. What's the worst that can happen?" Ash asked, his generous mouth sloping into a sly smile.

Willow poked him and shook her head. "Don't answer that Rose."

Caressing the locket resting between my breasts, the heat from it soothing the riotous nerves in my gut, I fought off the urge to turn the car towards home. There were so many things that could go wrong. Letting a young witch and warlock loose in the party was like handing drunken teenagers loaded guns. Willow could barely text. Her idea of social media was a seance, and she wasn't known for playing anything cool. Ash was a wildcard, and I was supposed to shadow him for the entire evening. Something that both thrilled and distressed me.

"Just, try to act like y'all fit in."

"Aye, aye." Willow said with salute before bounding out of the car.

"Guess she didn't want to give me a chance to come up with other excuses," I said wryly.

"Why are you so worried? It's not like witches and humans never mix."

I considered his words. Why was I so worked up? The memory of smoke slipping through his closed fist invaded my thoughts. Magic was linked to emotion, and what were teenagers but bundles of emotions? But Willow and Ash both knew the rules. They didn't need me reminding them of what was at stake if they lost control. The Council would be furious.

"This is my life," I finally answered, understanding coming to me as I watched Willow swaying with a tall girl next to the bonfire. "And for y'all, this is just something fun to do because things are boring back home, but I'll be here next week. And the week after. Eventually, this will be my home."

Ash recoiled. "You're going to move to St. Augustine? A human town?"

"Not necessarily St. Augustine but yes to the human town. I'm not magic, Ash."

"It's not possible for you to not be magic. You belong to one of the oldest witch lines in the country. You're a solstice born witch. Just because you don't have powers, it doesn't mean you're not magic."

"Magic makes me physically ill."

"Rose," he started to say but was cut off by the sharp rap of knuckles on my window.

"Get your asses out of the car," Flannery shouted, cupping her hands over her eyes as she stared into the dark interior of the vehicle.

"Impatient much," I groused. My feet sank into the rain softened earth as I stepped out of the car, and I was thankful for the light jacket I'd grabbed.