Possession

"N-no," I stuttered, throwing my hands over my mouth.

Malphas tilted his head to the side and smiled. He seemed amused by us, though I couldn't tell if the amusement stemmed from our reactions or attempts to protect ourselves. He didn't try to break through the shield, but I had my doubts about its ability to protect us from a demon.

"Why so upset? I thought you would pleased with this form, Rose."

"What in the actual hell?" Willow snarled, the power wafting off of her so strong it made my head ache and stomach churn.

He stepped toward us. In unison, we threw our hands out. I don't know why I did-reflex, I guess- but he froze. Those strange, silver eyes darted to the bracelet on my wrist, and he shuffled back. Either he was gun shy from before- something I doubted considering he was a prince of hell- or there was more power to this charm than I'd realized.

"Give us back Charlie," I shouted.

"I'm afraid," he said, rotating his head so his neck popped, "I can't do that. You see, I can't come into this world without a host, and Charlie here is a fine specimen."

He looked me up and down, making me shiver. His tongue darted across his lips, quick and lizard-like, leaving on their surface a sick shine in the moonlight.

"A fine specimen indeed and not without his perks, though he's not the one I was originally offered."

"Ego eieci te ad infernum," Ash began to chant. "Ego eiceci te ad infernum!"

Malphas howled with laughter as the wind began to whip about him. "Oh little warlock, you might be powerful, but it's not enough to banish a demon who is on earth under contract."

"Ego eieci te-"

"Enough!"

The demon growled, the silver swirls solidifying until the gleam swallowed his pupils. In the gash on Charlie's forehead, a horn began to grow, its twin breaking the skin on the other side. He grew taller, every inch accompanied by the snapping of bones.

The three of us moved away from the grotesque creature, our hands and arms clasping together, tremors traveling through every limb. And I couldn't look away as the sweet boy who'd offered his friendship and maybe his heart, began to fade away. Our eyes connected, and for one brief moment, silver turned brown, and I heard a whispered cry for help.

Charlie was still in there.

"No," I hissed, pulling away from Ash and Willow.

Ash lunged for me, but I swerved out of his reach. The eyes of the demon followed me but he didn't move towards me. Too consumed with his shift or his fight against Charlie, I couldn't be sure, but I wouldn't hide behind this damn shield and do nothing.

Without thinking it through, I grabbed for Malphas, the braceleted hand going around his arm while my other hand gripped my amulet. The beast stiffened, whimpered, and dropped- but not before I watched the argent gleam fade from his eyes.

"Rose!" Ash shouted, scrambling to my side. Fire crackled around his fingertips, and every trace of softness was gone from his face as he searched me for signs of injury.

"I'm fine. Is he going to be?" I asked, nearly sagging with relief when the horns receded, taking with them the head wound.

"Let's get him the car before he wakes up," Willow said, lifting him in a purple swirl of magic and shoving him into the backseat. With a sweep of her hand, she tucked his knees against his chest, making enough room for someone to sit beside him.

"Where are we going to take him? We can't just drop him off in St. Augustine. Not now that we know he's possessed."

"I have a theory," she insisted. "Drive to the town's border."

Choosing to trust my friend, I ran into the house to grab my keys. My brain replayed the last few minutes over and over until I felt sick. When I tried to slide the key into the ignition, I dropped the keys three times. Ash touched my shoulder, his eyes searching mine for a long moment until I nodded. We traded places, his hands much steadier than mine as he started the car and backed out of the drive.

No one uttered a word as we flew through the gloom. I alternated between looking out the window and twisting to look at the boy in the backseat. His face once again peaceful in slumber, but I was so very afraid when he woke up, he would be gone. Hellfire would burn bright in his gaze.

A deep groan filled the car. Willow's hand gripped the backs of our seats. Her voice was frantic when she spoke. "Ash, hurry."

He tightened his grip on the wheel, knuckles going white, and the car surged forward as he pressed the pedal to the floorboard. I grabbed the handle above my head, pushing back in my seat as we fishtailed around curves, but I didn't complain.

The line was just over the hill. So close and yet so far. Then, Willow screamed. Ash cursed. And I made the mistake of looking in the back seat again.

As I expected, Malphas was the one who woke up, not Charlie. The demon hadn't tried to shift again, but he had Charlie's hands wrapped around Willow's throat. Whatever spell she was uttering had little effect.

"I am a Great Prince of Hell," he yelled, spittle flying from his lips. "You are a child playing with things you don't understand."

"Stop!"

He twisted his head. "Rose, Rose, Rose. You are more than what they claimed."

He released Willow and reached for me.

"We're here," Ash said, and I felt the familiar prickle go across my skin. Just as we crossed the line, he slowed, putting the car into park when we stopped.

Once more Malphas disappeared, but this time, Charlie remained conscious. He blinked bleary eyes at me. "Rose?"

"H-hey Charlie," I said, sneaking a glance at Willow. My eyebrows had to be in my hairline.

"How did I get in the car with y'all? I was in Oxford."

"No, um remember we decided to um, go on that date," I rambled, the first thing I could think of pouring out of my mouth. Beside me, Ash froze, his dark eyes unreadable.

"We did?" He looked around. "With your friends?"

"It's a double date!"

"I thought they were cousins."

"Well, rats. A little help, y'all?"

Willow rolled her eyes and snapped her fingers. She caught Charlie as he slumped forward. "I was about to do that anyway. You're a terrible liar."

"You could've told me what was going to happen."

"I didn't know if it would."

Ash exhaled and put the car in drive. "What made you think it would work like this?"

"Whoever did this wouldn't of risked bringing Charlie to Black Brier if it wasn't necessary. Our wards keep people out, but it also helps keep magic in. It's as much protection to the impotens as it is to us. I hoped it meant they needed Charlie inside the wards to summon Malphas into his body. Now, whether or not that's gonna be true forever, I don't know."

"So what do we do now?"

"Let's get him to Oxford. Far, far away from here. At least for now. I'll have to talk to Clemmy and see if there's gonna be lasting effects. We might also need to ask one of the local covens up there to keep an eye on him."

Ash took the turn leading to Highway 55. The drive to Oxford was a few hours, and it was normally a pleasant drive. I looked at my friends before pressing my head against the window. This wasn't going to be pleasant at all.