The Deal

"Whatever you're planning, it won't work."

The ticking of the clock in the study was the only response Malphas received. I kept my back to him, choosing to stare at the book in my lap. Every so often I turned the pages, but the demon prince wasn't fooled.

"You wouldn't sacrifice your friends just to save yourself."

"Wouldn't I?" I snapped. "You don't know me. You may look like Charlie, but you're not him."

Malphas sat next to me on the window seat, and I flinched when his leg brushed against mine. He chuckled, the response feeding some twisted need inside of him, and when he ran his hand along my cheek, I stayed perfectly still.

"What do you know about possession? About what we get from our hosts?" He grabbed my chin and jerked me around to face him. "On this plane, demons are little more than ephemeral ghosts. We rise up from time to time to feed off your delicious human emotions."

My nose scrunched together. Not from what he said but because of how he said it. Such delight dripped off every word. His hands began to drift from my face and across my neck. Fingers traced the edges of my collarbones, stopping just short of slipping under my sweater.

"Joy, sadness-" His tone grew deeper, huskier. "Fear, lust. We drink it in and return to our hell where we know only greed and power."

"Aren't you full yet?"

He roared with laughter. "Did you not hear the last bit? We are greedy creatures. Insatiable. It's what drives most to take a host. Once we're inside, we know everything. Every feeling and dark desire. We consume it all. It's why the body fails so quickly when weaker demons take over. They have no control. Would you like to know what things Charlie has desired? Would you like to know the things I know about you?"

Wanting to gag, I tried to scoot away from him, but he leaned over and breathed deep. "You are more than I could have ever hoped for. I can taste your fear, but even stronger is your loathing and rage. Sometimes a demon finds a human they cannot leave alone. They become addicted to them. I think I could become addicted to you Rose."

"Well, good for you. Since you're stuck with me for all eternity."

"Don't sound so put out." He stood and stretched, biting his bottom lip as he looked me over. "You've lusted after this form before. Once our bond is in place, the decay will stop and reverse. Just close your eyes and pretend."

"You sick bastard."

"I can swap hosts if you prefer Ash, though Luis doesn't seem keen on the idea. Even though that's who was promised to me. I was quite angry, you know. When I awoke in this body. This frail, impoten form."

"What does it matter to you if it's a human or witch? You can't use magic the way we do."

Malphas grew somber, the silver spinning in his eyes slowing to a stop. Then he reached for me again, hooking his finger around the chain of my necklace. "Witch bodies are so much sturdier. Less prone to decay, and I can only use magic from an outside source, which is why I need you."

This time it was my turn to laugh. And I laughed so hard, I felt as though I might vomit. Tears coursed down my cheek, and it grew difficult to breathe. Malphas backed away and watched without expression, saying nothing until I calmed and drew in a deep steadying breath.

"You know I don't have the ability to use magic, right? Did they forget to share that with you?" 'You're a Siphon, Rose.'

"I'm aware of your current circumstances, but it's not always been the way. And once you break that damnable necklace, your magic will be restored to you."

The necklace. I'd wondered where Clemmy had found something so precious, but had the answer been so simple all along?

"Praesidiums are rare. The ultimate protection charm requires the ultimate sacrifice. All the magic within a witch or wizard. Many families pass them down from one generation to the next, filling them with magic before passing. But yours contains the powers of only one witch. One very, very powerful witch."

I wanted to tell him to stop. I didn't care, and it didn't matter. But it did. It mattered so much. To believe I was defective my entire life only to discover it was something someone had done to me. I didn't know if I was relieved or pissed. 

"Your father and Luis were men who reached beyond their limits, and when they promised me a bride in return for power and knowledge, I agreed. Of course, they thought they would never have to fulfill their end of the bargain because demon consorts must be Siphons and one had not been born in centuries. But I knew the blood that ran in Basil's veins. He was not the first of his family to seek out demons. Do you know how the gift of Siphoning came to be, Rose?"

I leaned forward, desperate to miss nothing. The single syllable falling from my lips was breathless. "No."

"A greedy witch offered up her soul to a demon in return for unlimited power, and her descendants carry the mark of her bond. You have belonged to me since before you were born, Rose."

I scrambled to the other side of the room, shaking my head. I gripped the edges of the bookshelves to remain standing and fought the urge to rip the necklace off.

"But I don't have power. Pick someone else."

"But you do." He spoke right behind me, and he pressed his front into my back until I was pinned between him and the bookshelves. He caressed the necklace. "Abuela told Luis and your father that you would be the one, and Basil thought he could stop it by taking your magic from you. It's why other magic makes you sick. It creeps inside of you, filling that void with foreign magic. All you have to do is break the Praesidium. Only the owner of its magic can release the magic. You can be whole, Rosey."

So much temptation, but to take it would be to tie myself to Malphas forever. He would give Luis the power to take over the humans. My friends would be under his control, and Charlie would be lost forever.

Malphas sensed my reluctance, and he snorted in disgust. "It's you or your sister."

"Oh, well that's easy enough," I wheezed as he tightened his hand around my throat. "Harmony would make a perfect demon bride."

Delicious air filled my lungs as he released me. Turning around, I watched as he lounged across the sofa, an amused expression twisting his handsome face. "I want nothing to do with Harmony or Caly."

"I only have the two sisters."

"Until December. I'm a patient man. I waited twenty years. What's another seventeen? Of course, poor Charlie's body will rot without a bond. I suppose some other mortal fool will have to be sacrificed. Perhaps I can convince Luis to keep Ash on ice for me."

"You wouldn't-"

Alma's baby girl- my baby sister. Ash. So many people lost because I wouldn't sacrifice myself. Ash's words came back to me. 'Do you know how I would have felt if something had happened to you?' If he was here now, he would be furious, but I could see no other way.

Dropping to my knees, I covered my face with my hands as I cried. Malphas drew them away, wiping a thumb over the tracks with surprising tenderness.

"You've made the right choice. You'll see. We're meant to be."