Complications

Almost twenty-four hours later I was standing outside my father's old shop, The Keys to Conjuring with gritty eyes and a wicked hangover that had nothing to do with drinking. Sleep hadn't come easily to me the night before. I'd stayed awake until Mama made it back home- she said they wouldn't know until tomorrow if her magic matched. I was up again before eight, and most of my day was spent at my father's side or chasing Remy to help Alma out. 

I worried about my step-mother almost as much as I worried about my father. Her skin, normally clear and bright, was ashen, and though she tried to hide it, I often caught her rubbing her round stomach and wincing. She was only thirty-one weeks into her pregnancy. If she delivered now, the baby would make it, but even with magic, it would be a long road.

Shivering, I wrapped my arms around myself and scuttled back into the shadows. Rain dripped steadily off eaves and awnings, and the temperature was back to unseasonably cool. Under most circumstances, I would be delighted by the weather shift, but most circumstances didn't involve late night breaking and entering.

"Ash, where are you?" I demanded, worrying my lip and looking up and down the street.

The main strip remained deserted because Mabon was still in full swing. But after a week of demons and explosions, I worried more about what I couldn't see. Thinking about that drew my thoughts to Charlie. A quick text earlier in the day confirmed he was okay. Suffering from a headache but in possession of himself.

I hoped.

"Rosie."

"Willow!"

I spun around to see my friend jogging up to me. Most businesses were spelled to keep witches and warlocks from teleporting within ten feet of the entrances. Otherwise, they'd all just pop in and out of the building which wasn't practical from a safety standpoint. Not to mention, it would be hard to keep up with customers who could just appear at will, and Black Brier folks didn't put up with line jumping.

"Where is Ash?" I asked.

"He's coming. Tio Luis got a hold of him just before he could sneak out."

"Oh my gosh. Oh my gosh. He suspects us. He has to. We're dead."

Willow shook me. Hard. For a little thing she was awfully strong.

"If my Tio Luis knew what we were doing, we'd all be toads sitting in the county jail waiting for our parents to pick us up. He's the type to do first and ask questions later, comprende?"

"I know. I just... Willow, if Ash is right, and Luis is responsible for the explosion then we're taking a huge risk. Someone doesn't do something like that if they don't have something to hide, and they certainly don't mind doing it again."

"We've got this. I won't let anything happen to you, and I know for sure my cousin won't. That boy has it bad for you."

I rolled my eyes, but my lips curled up in a grin without my permission. "He's just kind."

"Mmhmm," she said, pressing her body close to mine to share warmth, "that's why his eyes go all glassy and he blushes whenever I mention your name."

"Shut up."

"It's true."

"Mmmhmm, I'm sure it is."

"You'll see." Willow dropped her head on my shoulder, the spiky ends of her hair tickling my neck. "How's your papi?"

I wasn't prepared for the shift in conversation, and the simple question went through me like a burning arrow. For a moment, the streets of Black Brier faded away, and my vision filled with the image of my father lying motionless in bed- cheeks sunken, skin wan, and chest rising and falling so slowly I found myself putting my hand on his breast to feel the air swelling and releasing in his lungs.