Chapter I

Growing up in a pack was not an easy thing to do when you're the only human. They knew from the moment I was born I wasn't a werewolf. I was overdue and born without breath as they like to say. I was practically dead when I was born which is something that rarely ever happens to werewolf babies. Wolves are born fast without any difficulties. There are hardly any cases with a werewolf baby born with any defects or issues.

People accused my mother of cheating because my father wasn't really her mate. He left us thinking the rumor were true, but it ended up being a good thing because my mom found her real mate a when I was ten. It was a family little family with my mom, stepdad and my two younger brothers. Almost. I would say there was times I could tell I was the odd one out.

My uncle is the alpha of the pack. Sometimes I would feel not part of the pack, but they are all I have, they are family in a way. I never knew anything else but pack life. I can never really be part of the pack; I can never run the full moon with them or even have a mate. I am just a human. It's not only the fact I can't turn wolf, it's just me. The pure blood wolves usually are darker, dark hair and eyes. If hair is lighter or eyes and skin that means they're not pure wolves, that there has been humans' gene in the family, like a great grandmother or something. It wasn't rare for a werewolf to have a human mate so the genes would mix. But in my pack, I stood out like a fat kid in PE class. Not only is my hair light blond and my extremely pale skin. I literally screamed human. I got my name after my dark blue eyes, Navy.

"Navy!" I heard my mother yelling from downstairs. I groaned as I rolled off my bed hitting the floor with loud painful thud. That was going to leave a nasty dark bruise. I bruise so easily even for a human and that doesn't help when you're as clumsy as me. I got up from the cold hardwood floor and made my way downstairs to the kitchen to see my family already up.

"Yeah?" I asked as I sat down at the island pouring milk into a bowl of cereal.

"So, there is a pack meeting this evening..." My mom started which I rolled my eyes. I have only been to a few meetings in my life. They weren't even important ones, just like small ones that don't really matter or the kind where it involves my family, like the coming of age, a transformation or even a wedding. But I was never really allowed to go to the important ones about pack things, whatever pack things are. I felt like my mom tried to bring me to as many as she could so that I felt more part of the pack. All her life she tried so hard for me to fit in here, and I do sometimes but other times I don't. Our town is large and is all werewolves. We live twenty minutes away from the nearest city, so we weren't that out in nowhere.

"Do you need me to stay with the twins?" I asked looking at Nate and Nick. They were almost nine and they looked a lot like Jacob, my mom's mate. They had his brown hair and my mother dark gray eyes. My mom had light hair like me but that was due to the fact her mother was human.

"No, they are going and so are you." She said giving me the look. I could not get out of this one. Pack meeting where so boring. It's not like I don't care about the pack, it's just that I don't understand most of the things that goes on.

"What time?" I asked as I gulped down the sugary cereal.

"We leave to the pack house at five" my mother said as she took my dish away. I loved the pack house, well more like my uncle's house. He's the alpha and my mom's older brother. I had three cousins. They were my best friends honestly. They were the people in the pack that didn't. care if I was human or not.

Alexander the oldest was going to take over the pack when his father steps down. He was so smart and strong he would make the perfect alpha. He's twenty-four so his time is approaching.

Then there was Maximums. My best friend. He was twenty, and he couldn't care less about this werewolf alpha thing. His father wanted him to be beta, but he doesn't want it. But I think he would make a good beta.

And Juliet, I would consider us as sisters. We even looked alike. Same dark blue eyes and facial features. But her hair was a deep chestnut color, and she was tall, tan and slender. She looked like supermodel. Her father hopes she mates with an alpha so we could join pack to expand territory. The more territory a pack had the more powerful.

Growing up going to an all-werewolf school was hard. Not all accepted me as a member, but Max was always there to start fights. They were my friends when no one else wanted to even talk to me because I was a human. Mostly everyone avoided me like the plague.

Kids didn't want to play with me because I could easily get hurt. They avoided me at all costs not wanting to get in trouble for getting me hurt. But I understand I was a human, how much in common was I supposed to have with them. High school was weird, even weirder in a high school of werewolves. A Lot of wolves start find their mates when puberty hits. It's normal to find a mate before the age of 20. Alex found Annie when he was in sophomore year. I don't really understand the mate concept. I grew up being told stories of how two wolves are made for each other. Their souls are one. That everyone has a mate but me. I remember all the sleepover I was forced to go by my mom. All the girls seemed to only dream about their mate. Each already had the perfect image in their imagination on who their mate was going to be. They seemed so eager to find the one that they'll be with forever. It crushed me.

When I was nine, I thought I was always going to have a mate like any other girl. One day in class I was talking with Juliet about wanting a mate who was funny or something. But this girl interrupted saying I would never have a mate. That mates are for werewolves. She said I was a mere human who would have to settle for another human. She said I was unable of the type of love werewolves had. It honestly shattered everything in me at the age of nine.

I now know I most likely won't have a mate. What are the chances of a wolf would have me as a mate, slim to none? I gave up my childhood fantasies of a perfect guy. But yet I still dreamed of him. Of someone who would love me more than anything in this world. To be someone's first and only love. I would kill for the type of love werewolves shared with their mates. It was so magic so pure